Problem with AWG on 2406B - Frequency and Amplitude don't Match Settings

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
Daniel-24

Problem with AWG on 2406B - Frequency and Amplitude don't Match Settings

Post by Daniel-24 »

Greetings everyone.

I have a PicoScope 2406B and have the following problem with the arbitrary waveform generator:

(The AWG output is connected to channel A of the PicoScope.)

First I output a square wave with the “standard” signal generator, with the following settings:

Signal type: Square wave
Frequency: 100 Hz
Amplitude: 2 V
Offset: 0 V

The measurements on channel A of the scope confirm the settings of the signal generator. However, because I want to be able to vary the duty cycle of a square wave, I switch to the AWG by clicking on “Arbitrary (AWG)”. I then select the following:

Output: Standard
Wave shape: Square wave
Min: -50%
Max: 50%
Cycles: 10
Duty cycle: 50%

Then I click on “Apply”.

The signal generator panel shows that the signal type is now “AWG”. The other settings are the same as before:

Frequency: 100 Hz
Amplitude: 2 V
Offset: 0 V

But now the measurements on channel A show that the frequency is 1 kHz and the amplitude is 1 V (i.e. peak-to-peak voltage is 2 V). So strangely the frequency value is multiplied by 10 and the amplitude value is multiplied by 0.5. This is confirmed if I change the settings. For example, if I set the frequency to 200 Hz, the output frequency is actually 2 kHz, and if I change the amplitude to 1 V, the actual output amplitude is 0.5 V.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this inexplicable behaviour being caused by an issue with either the PicoScope 7 software or the PicoScope 2406B?

System Information:

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (OS build 22631.3007)
Software: PicoScope 7 version 7.1.19.17687
Oscilloscope model: PicoScope 2406B
Driver version: 2.1.129.5632
Hardware version: 1
Firmware version: 1.3.3.0 / 1.0.51.0

I hope you folks at Pico Technology can shed some light on this matter.

Regards,

Daniel

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with AWG on 2406B - Frequency and Amplitude don't Match Settings

Post by Martyn »

The key is that you have selected 10 cycles in the AWG buffer design. The frequency is for the whole buffer, not per cycle.
You can either change the generator frequency to 10Hz you will get 10 cycles at 10Hz, so the square wave frequency will be back to 100Hz, or you can select 1 cycle in the AWG buffer.

For the amplitude the AWG editor by default has the signal at +/-50% so half the value of the generator setting. Set this to +/-100% and you will have full range.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager