SETTING X AXIS AS DEGREES - STROBE LIGHT

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
PicoLilly
User
User

SETTING X AXIS AS DEGREES - STROBE LIGHT

Post by PicoLilly »

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the correct place, but if not could someone move it please. I have an ongoing problem, and believe the solution might be a useful feature in Picoscope; that is if it doesn't already exist, and I just don't know about it. I know someone might say this post belongs in the automotive forum, but as this really involves rewriting software, I think it might get more attention here. My problem occurs when I want to check that a certain ignition timing map is behaving as it is programmed to do. I have a degree disc fitted to my crankshaft, and although an ignition timing light works well at low speed, once my engine is at about 6000 rpm, the timing light can't cope with the higher speeds, as it can't charge fast enough to provide a pulse to the bulb. I realise that if at a certain engine speed, e.g. 1000rpm, I can add cursors to represent degrees of rotation along the X axis. However, once the engine speed is increased, the cursor locations no longer have any meaning. What would be good is that if I could create an angular time-base on Channel A, then have Channel B indicating the instant that a ignition event occurs at the ignition coil. If the Channel A time-base could be locked to the repetitive trigger event on that channel, then as engine speed increased, the display would stretch so to speak to fill the monitor, and the angular time-base stretch along with it. This would mean that the trigger event on Channel B would be a live angular display of when the actual ignition event was taking place, with respect to the 0° reference on Channel A. This would serve the same purpose as using a timing light to prove the correct ignition timing, but at higher speeds where the timing light cannot cope. Hopefully this makes sense? Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SETTING X AXIS AS DEGREES - STROBE LIGHT

Post by Martyn »

Can you post a psdata file so that we can see exactly what data you have.

It can be possible to create a math channel related to the repeat frequency of the ignition signal, and then using the X-Y Instrument replace the X-axis with this math channel.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager