Confused on Thermocouple Data

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
skeating

Confused on Thermocouple Data

Post by skeating »

Hello!
I recently purchased a PicoScope 2405A 4channel 25MHz device, and I'm using Type T thermocouples to measure various temperature changes in the lab. I calibrated the PicoScope probes and connected them to my thermocouples, but when I dip the measurement junction into ice water or a 45deg C water bath or liquid nitrogen, I get readings that don't make sense. I should be seeing higher voltage for warmer temperatures, but the readings are varied in magnitude across various temperatures. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Confused on Thermocouple Data

Post by bennog »

where is the other junction of your thermocouple ?
the difference is in the mV range for these type of devices about 40uV / C
https://www.pyromation.com/downloads/data/emft_c.pdf

Benno

skeating

Post by skeating »

The measurement junction was in the ice water, and the reference junction was connected to the probes that came with the PicoScope. Thermocouples > probes > PicoScope > laptop.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

and how did you setup your scope.
Because I tested over here with a 1:1 probe and scope set to +/- 20mV and resolution enchantment to the max.
Then I can measure the difference between hanging in the air 90uV and holding it in my hand 194uV.
But remember you are measuring in the uV ranges so you won't see it on the trace.
In this setting you are measuring in the noise (1 LSB is 156uV) so you need to average a lot of measurements (in my case 10000000) to have some measurable difference.

Benno
Attachments
2024-03-28_17-43-21.png