Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post discussions on applications you are writing
timrobbinsfromoz

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post by timrobbinsfromoz »

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Aaron for developing and supporting this app. Very easy to setup and use and has me generating plots of valve amps straightaway, and dovetails well with a new 4224A. For me it allows automated plotting below 10Hz, and above 100kHz, which is where all the feedback related stability fun-and-games hides, and is difficult or impossible to do with a good soundcard. Ciao, Tim

HPC

FRA4: Installation of newer version fails

Post by HPC »

Hello forum, I have installed version “0.7.0b RC1” on a Windows 10 PC and would like to update to “FRA4PicoScope_0.8.0_beta.msi”. I am asked to specify the path to the installation package “FRAPicoSope_0.7.0b_RC1.msi”. This package is not available on the download page. So unfortunately I fail. Can someone give me a hint? Thank you. HPC

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Hi HPC,

Sorry you're having trouble. I'm not sure why the installer needs to know the path to the older MSI, but in any case if you want to try satisfying that dependency, the archive has that MSI: https://bitbucket.org/hexamer/fra4picos ... G-2020.zip

If that doesn't work, I'd just uninstall the 0.7.0b RC1 version, then install the new one.

Thank you,

Aaron.

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

timrobbinsfromoz wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:56 am
Just wanted to say a big thanks to Aaron for developing and supporting this app. Very easy to setup and use and has me generating plots of valve amps straightaway, and dovetails well with a new 4224A. For me it allows automated plotting below 10Hz, and above 100kHz, which is where all the feedback related stability fun-and-games hides, and is difficult or impossible to do with a good soundcard. Ciao, Tim
Thank you Tim!!

HPC

Post by HPC »

Hi Aaron,
I would like to add my thanks to Aaron. His software together with the ImpedanceViewer software from eevblog allows new insights into the behavior of e.g. inductors and capacitances, especially with the high resolution of PicoScope 5xxx.
(So far I have been quite happy with my PicoScope 3xxx at home. Unfortunately that is now over. The 5000s in the company are much better.)
If you, Aaron, still want to perfect your software, I would be very grateful for the calibration function.
Either way: thank you very much!
Best regards,
HPC

Eduard_Lazer

Post by Eduard_Lazer »

Hello,

I have a Problem with the Data Export.
Every time I Export the Data, the CSV contains wrong frequencies.
The values are completely wrong and don't make any sense.

You can find an Example in the Attachments.
Attachments
TEST.csv
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Screenshot 2023-11-16 170938.png

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

HPC wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:54 am
Hi Aaron,
I would like to add my thanks to Aaron. His software together with the ImpedanceViewer software from eevblog allows new insights into the behavior of e.g. inductors and capacitances, especially with the high resolution of PicoScope 5xxx.
(So far I have been quite happy with my PicoScope 3xxx at home. Unfortunately that is now over. The 5000s in the company are much better.)
If you, Aaron, still want to perfect your software, I would be very grateful for the calibration function.
Either way: thank you very much!
Best regards,
HPC
Thank you so much for the feedback! Calibration is definitely high priority on my backlog! Conceptually simple, but as with many things, there's more than one way to do it. I might circle back with some questions.

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Eduard_Lazer wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:09 pm
Hello,

I have a Problem with the Data Export.
Every time I Export the Data, the CSV contains wrong frequencies.
The values are completely wrong and don't make any sense.

You can find an Example in the Attachments.
Hi Eduard,

Those frequencies are log base 10 of the actual frequency. If you'd like to see the actual frequencies, you could insert a column with formula =POW(10, A2), then fill down.

Thanks,

Aaron

Gavatron

Post by Gavatron »

Hi Aaron,

I have recently had an new issue with the FRA not starting. I get a couple of seconds of blue spinning wheel and but the program fails to start. Picoscope 7 still loads and works fine. I used FRA a couple of months ago without any issues. I am sorry i have not given you much to go on. I have found it to be an excellent tool for tracking stability.

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Gavatron wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:25 am
Hi Aaron,

I have recently had an new issue with the FRA not starting. I get a couple of seconds of blue spinning wheel and but the program fails to start. Picoscope 7 still loads and works fine. I used FRA a couple of months ago without any issues. I am sorry i have not given you much to go on. I have found it to be an excellent tool for tracking stability.
Hello Gavatron. I'm happy to try to get you back up and running. Just a few questions ...
  1. What version of the FRA app do you have installed?
  2. What version of Windows?
  3. Is the 32-bit version of the Pico SDK installed on your computer? If so, what version?
  4. There are some versions of the FRA App that start, but then go to the background. Is it possible it did start and is just hidden? Minimize all other applications and see if you see either the main window, or a dialog asking if you wan to load a demo scope. Also, check the task list. Is the executable FRA4PicoScope.exe running?
Thank you,

Aaron.

Gavatron

Post by Gavatron »

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your troubleshooting list because it got me actually thinking, rather than simply reacting. I never even considered that FRA was a x86 program, not x64, so I would need to install the 32bit Picoscope SDK rather than the 64bit Picoscope SDK. So I installed the 32bit SDK, reinstalled FRA and success!!

So, it all works with version 0.7.3 and I can get on with my measurements :)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Eng_Ach

Post by Eng_Ach »

hexamer wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:17 pm
Donny001 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:47 am
Hi Mr. hexamer,
I met a problem when using Picoscope 5444D-034 with FRA version 0.7.3b.
The program can detect the scope but can not initiate the scope and it gives an error message as below picture . Could you please help to check what the issue maybe?
I need to use this scope to test my DC-DC converter loop gain.
Thank you and hope to get your response soon.
Hi Donny,

I hope I can help you, but I can't predict how far we'll get with this. From what I can tell, the PS5444D-034 model is the PicoScope hardware sold by Vector for their "Option .Scope" product. I can't tell for sure, but I would guess that it does not identify the same as a PS5444D, which is why it can't be opened.

I don't know what other differences there may be in its firmware / operation vs a standard PS5444D, so I could not guarantee that it would even work for FRA. If you want to try at your own risk I could make a special version of the FRA application to try for yourself. However, if we run into issues, I can't promise I have the time to investigate.

Thank you,

Aaron.
Hello. Has the error message: can't initiate the scope been resolved? My scope that I recently purchased is doing the same thing. Is it possible to re-flash the 4224A scope?

Thanks.
Andrew

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Eng_Ach wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:21 pm
Hello. Has the error message: can't initiate the scope been resolved? My scope that I recently purchased is doing the same thing. Is it possible to re-flash the 4224A scope?
Thanks.
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

The PicoScope 4224A should be fully compatible with the FRA App. Could you try something for me and report back?

1) Turn on Tools -> Settings -> Log Verbosity -> PicoScope API Calls.
2) Shut down the FRA App
3) With the scope connected to your PC, launch the FRA App. Wait until the failure occurs.
4) Press the Copy Log button and paste results here.

Thanks,

Aaron.

Eng_Ach

Post by Eng_Ach »

Hello.

I returned the 4224A scope and acquired a 5243D directly from Picoscope. Wanted to minimize a variable.

I have the PicoSDK 10.7.26 (32-bit) installed.
Windows 10 operating system

I attached a screenshot of the FRA.

I noticed when going to Tools -> Settings -> Log Verbosity -> PicoScope API Calls.
PicoScope API Calls is not listed.
I uninstalled FRA and installed FRA4PicoScope_0.7.0b_RC1, restarted the cpu.

FRA was able to successful connect; Status: 5243D S/N: KU687/0004 successfully initialized.

Log:
ps5000aOpenUnit( 00AFE8FC, 00AFE96C, 3 );
ps5000aGetTimebase( 16384, 3, 0, 0, 00AFE7CC, 0 );
ps5000aGetUnitInfo( 16384, 00AFE7AC, 32, 00AFE790, 3 );
ps5000aMaximumValue( 16384, 00AFE8CC );
ps5000aSetChannel( 16384, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0 );
ps5000aSetBandwidthFilter( 16384, 0, 1 );
ps5000aSetChannel( 16384, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0 );
ps5000aSetBandwidthFilter( 16384, 1, 1 );
ps5000aGetTimebase( 16384, 3, 0, 0, 00AFE7DC, 0 );
ps5000aGetUnitInfo( 16384, 00AFE94C, 32, 00AFE930, 3 );
ps5000aGetUnitInfo( 16384, 00AFE94C, 32, 00AFE930, 4 );
ps5000aGetUnitInfo( 16384, 00AFE6FC, 32, 00AFE6E0, 3 );
ps5000aGetUnitInfo( 16384, 00AFE6FC, 32, 00AFE6E0, 4 );

I must have installed an older version, possibly 0.6b.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Andrew
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Thank you for reporting back, Andrew! You're right, the API logging feature was not introduced until 0.7.0b, and PS42x4 support was not introduced until 0.7.3b. So if you were using 0.6b, it would not recognize a PS4224A scope. See Version History for a complete set of release notes. Also take note that the latest version available is 0.8.0 (beta). There may be bug fixes or features relevant to you.