Accessing metadata from .psdata files

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
LoganShineFusion

Accessing metadata from .psdata files

Post by LoganShineFusion »

Hello,
I have taken several thousand data files saved as psdata. I would like a way to access the metadata with a script. The most important data to me is the capture time. I am using a 4000 series to trigger on events that happen rarely, but are two short to be captured by other data in the machine. After reading the manual, and engaging picotech, it seems like the only way to have access to metadata is to open and each file and read it out manually for files that are already taken. There are ways that I could setup the system to to automatically record some of the metadata that I want moving forward, but that doesn't help me with the files that I already have. I have looked at the SDK stuff and github, but that seems to all be focused around streaming data out from an active scope.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Accessing metadata from .psdata files

Post by bennog »

The file format is closed proprietary. So no possibility of reading the metadata from the .psdata XML.

Why don't you use the date and time of the .psdata files.

Benno

LoganShineFusion

Post by LoganShineFusion »

That would only help with the last trace. That still leaves 31/32 traces not useable.

I don't understand why picotech is unwilling to save the metadata. They don't seem to be interested in the data analysis and report generation game.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Depends of how good you are in hacking but the XML where all the info of the traces is in is in the .psdata file

But you need a lot of programming experience to find it and connect the dots.

You need to find out for yourself I will not help you with this, because the format is proprietary of picotech.
But it is doable (I have done this back in 2012).

P.S. maby picotech can provide a little program that exports part of the XML out of the .psdata (not the complete XML because there is info in it where you can also extract the data out of the .psdata)

P.P.S. they changed the format in 2020-07 to a short xml with almost no data in it and the rest of the file in some binary format. Probably from version 6.14.23 on.
So if you made the captures with a version before 6.14.23 the you have luck.

Benno