How to make a calculation

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Mike_Z
User
User

How to make a calculation

Post by Mike_Z »

I have a Pico 2204 and am attempting to calculate the energy stored in an inductor. I have secussfully stored waveforms of the inductor voltage and current over time. I want to calculate the total energy stored in my inductor. I have the voltage and current waveforms over approx. 5 milliSeconds. Seems that I need to multiply the voltage times the current for each sample times the time period and summate them all. Can this be done in PICO 6 or do I need to export the information to MATLAB or something like that? Thanks for the help, Mike.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: How to make a calculation

Post by bennog »

can you post a .psdata file.
Benno

Mike_Z
User
User

Post by Mike_Z »

I have included two files. One the .psdata and the other a .JPG. The JPG illustrates what section of the waveform I want to do the calculation on. Again I want to calculate the Total Energy from the voltage, current and time. Thanks, Mike
Attachments
Coil8Single.JPG
Coil8Single.psdata
(133.53 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Mike_Z
User
User

Post by Mike_Z »

For some reason then JPG file I attached does not show the annotations I made. The area of interest is from about -3 mSec to +1 mSec. Basically the ramp function on the left side of the chart. Thanks, Mike

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Something like below.
2024-03-08_08-49-01.png
My guts tell me this value should be multiplied by the time between the rulers, but I am not that familiar with energy measurement of inductors.

Benno

Mike_Z
User
User

Post by Mike_Z »

Benno, thanks. I assume that the blue trace is the multiplication of the yellow and red, voltage and current. How did you do that? The remainder of the calculation would be to integrate the blue trace over the 5 mSeconds or so of time. Mike

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

I used a math channel A * B
And then the measurement of average value between the cursors of this multiplication.

Benno

Mike_Z
User
User

Post by Mike_Z »

Ben, sorry for not getting back sooner, but...... I found the Math channel and figured out how that worked. See picture. The small light blue trace is the product. But I'm stuck at the next step. You said take the average between the markers? I thin I want to integrate between the markers. How would one accomplish that? Thanks for the help, Mike.
Attachments
VoltTimesCurrent.JPG

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Use the button at the green arrow.

And if possible switch to picoscope 7 because it has more features, and if there is something you want to be added to the software it will be in PS7

Benno
Attachments
2024-03-15_07-14-40.png