Windows USB event logging and Picoscope 7 reliability ?

Post any questions related to the new PicoScope 7 software
nurber
Active User
Active User

Windows USB event logging and Picoscope 7 reliability ?

Post by nurber »

Hi Pico & Forum. I'd like to troubleshoot Picoscope 7 reliability issues with 4444 on Windows 10. I've tried to use stable & beta Picoscope 7 on Linux with a Dell XPS 9310 for many years, but have not found it reliable (i.e. disconnects and/or unresponsive display). On Windows with a different laptop I seem to experience much fewer reliability issues, but unlike Linux where I have USB event logging out of the box, it looks like I need to enable such logging with a "logman" utility. I suspect Pico knows appropriate arguments and filters to see relevant events in Windows ? I guess I should ask if Linux stable & beta are considered as reliable as Windows stable & beta ? And is Picoscope 7 for Windows with a 4444 as reliable as Picoscope 6 with a 4444 ?

Thanks, Sven

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Windows USB event logging and Picoscope 7 reliability ?

Post by bennog »

I have had some issues with my 4444 most times it was solved by shorter USB cables or adding the external power supply. Only 1 time I can remember that I needed to use a 3404D-MSO because it kept stopping.
This was in an industrial environment with a windows 11 laptop.
I most times use the scopes in office setup, but sometimes I go on a field trip to troubleshoot problems.

P.S. you can use wireshark to log USB events and traffic.

Benno

nurber
Active User
Active User

Re: Windows USB event logging and Picoscope 7 reliability ?

Post by nurber »

Hi Benno. Helpful info, thank you. Based on "shorter" length experience sounds like a voltage issue ( i.e. 4444 doesn't like below a threshold ). I believe that 4444 consumption is tied to active channels ( & by extension active probes ), but I've experienced my problems without anything connected or even just a single 441. USB3 spec should allow for something like 3m and I've experienced this problem with 1m cable that works with a different scope. It would be interesting to see 4444 consumption figures ( don't see published ) and compare with actual and the spec. From memory, I remember Pico saying something like it could be problematic to try to use 3 or 4 probes at once powering over USB. My work is 90% field so I rely on USB power.

Good tip about Wireshark although I'd probably spend significant time figuring out the details with USB as I've only used for Ethernet. logman looks like the right utility particularly with PerfView to view, but I'll see if Pico knows appropriate search strings/filter to save time.