Will Picoscope answer my need

Which product is right for your exact requirements
MichelH
User
User

Will Picoscope answer my need

Post by MichelH »

Working in machine automation, random issues are happening some time, and it is difficult to investigate as it is not possible to replicate the issue.
I need a system like an "airplane blackbox" able to record up to 8 signals (24V) every 1 mSecond, and store the data for several hours on a connected PC having enough memory on its hard drive:
8 channels x 1000 samples/sec x 3600 sec/hour x 8 hours = 230 400 kSamples
Is it possible with a Picoscope? If yes, with which product (s)?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Will Picoscope answer my need

Post by bennog »

The number of samples is no problem.
do you want the 24V signals digital (1 and 0) so 24V and 0V
Or do you want them analog so if a dip of 5 V occurs you have it also ?

if 1 is yes any scope with DSO
if 2 is yes the 4824A is your only option (this is the only 8 ch scope)

P.S. Dso needs divider because it is 5V based not 24V I have a pcb for this can send it to you for shipping costs.
you probably also need to use the SDK if are as picky as I am.

Benno

MichelH
User
User

Post by MichelH »

Thank you Benno
Good to have confirmation that the number of samples is not a problem (was not so clear when reading the manuals). If I understand well, the samples are transferred to the connected PC thru the USB port and stored on the hard drive. So the only limit is the hard drive capability (and the transmission speed on the USB but should be OK with 1 ksample/sec).
4824A was already in my radar as it is opened to analogic signals

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

In the picoscope software the total number of samples is limited to 250MSamples.
So if you use 8 channels you only can capture 32MSamples.
Also in picoscope software you do this with 2000 s/div (=20000 sec = 5,5 hour) or at 5000 s/div is (=50000 sec = 13,8 hour)

However if you use the SDK your only limit is your HD space. The problem is that you can not view the data with the picoscope software so you need to use your onw viewer (or use sigrok pulseview as I do when I use the SDK) and save the data as sigrok files (this format is open source)

Benno