Python API compatibility PicoVNA3 -> PicoVNA5

Discussions forum for our Sampling Oscilloscopes, VNA, and Pulse Generators
PicoVNA_User
User
User

Python API compatibility PicoVNA3 -> PicoVNA5

Post by PicoVNA_User »

Hi,

I've used the PicoVNA to automate measurements a few months ago and had a some trouble setting up the correct Python environnement. I could get the sample code working only on some 32-bits Python (<= 3.8 32-bits). First question, is it an issue from my side or is it normal ?

Second question : Will upgrading from PicoVNA3 to PicoVNA5 change some API functions and break some things ? Or is it 100% compatible ?

Would the python sample code given now work on a Linux machine with PicoVNA5 ? Do I still need a 32-bits Python ?

Last question I had was already answered here : "P1dB utility not working" [ topic42628.html ]
Can you confirm it would work upgrading from PicoVNA3 to PicoVNA5 ?

Kind regards,

M-Dawg

Re: Python API compatibility PicoVNA3 -> PicoVNA5

Post by M-Dawg »

Hi, thanks for your questions.
I've used the PicoVNA to automate measurements a few months ago and had a some trouble setting up the correct Python environnement. I could get the sample code working only on some 32-bits Python (<= 3.8 32-bits). First question, is it an issue from my side or is it normal ?
Unfortunately the PicoVNA 3 API is 32-bit only.
Second question : Will upgrading from PicoVNA3 to PicoVNA5 change some API functions and break some things ?
The PicoVNA 5 API is an all-new API that is not backwards compatible. It has been designed to be a friendly, fast and efficient API. Bindings are available out of the box for C++, Python and a number of other programming languages.

Any code written using the old PicoVNA 3 API would need to be rewritten. However, this should be a simple task (and the new code using the PicoVNA 5 API should be a lot cleaner!).

PicoVNA 5 and the PicoVNA 5 APIs are 64-bit only.
Would the python sample code given now work on a Linux machine with PicoVNA5 ?
There is new Python sample code available for the PicoVNA 5 API. You can download sample code (together with the Python programming manual) within the SDK here: https://www.picotech.com/downloads?soft=t9 Click through to "PicoVNA 5 SDK v5.2.5" to obtain the examples, required libraries, and programming manuals.

The Python examples available within the SDK include:
  • running a simple frequency sweep (in `01_simple_frequency_sweep`)
  • running a custom sweep (custom frequency and power) (in `04_log_frequency_sweep`)
  • using the time-domain transform (in `03_time_domain_transform`)
  • using a trigger (in `05_trigger`)
I've also attached the current version of the PicoVNA 5 Python Programming Guide here for convenience. Please always use the most recent version of the Programming Guide from the SDK for reference.
Can you confirm it would work upgrading from PicoVNA3 to PicoVNA5 ?
The P1dB utility is not yet implemented using PicoVNA 5. This will be coming to PicoVNA 5 in 2024 Q2.

---

Please do come back here if you have any further questions. You can also email `support@picotech.com` and label the message as "FAO: Matthew" if you require specific support with integrating the PicoVNA 5 API into your application.
Attachments
Pico_VNA_5_Programming_Guide_Python.pdf
(489.76 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

PicoVNA_User
User
User

Post by PicoVNA_User »

Thank you so much for these answers !
Backwards compatibility isn't that much of an issue as our current production bench is fixed and we likely won't touch the measurement part of the code. Though we will upgrade our developpement bench to PicoVNA 5, especially if it is now 64-bits-based and works on Linux.

Best regards,

PicoVNA_User
User
User

Post by PicoVNA_User »

I'm having trouble downloading PicoVNA 5 on Linux. The given "Download PicoVNA x86_64" link does not download directly the file "picovna.run". Instead it opens a new window with the script written inside (including a majority of non-readable characters). I tried copy pasting the readable part and run it but got
"Unexpected archive sive".

Copy pastig the entire file takes ages. Is it possible to get this picovn.run through another way ?

The Windows installer did work and I got to the "upgrade hardware" screen which is fine with me, I'll see with my company to get the upgrade. Being able to run it on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04) would be nice though