Will a picoscope fit my needs?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
DrMickeyLauer
User
User

Will a picoscope fit my needs?

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

I'm in the market for a new scope. The 3405d MSO looks interesting, but let me tell you one of my needs:

Right now I'm writing a driver for an SPI peripheral for the use with ESP32. I'm basing the driver on an existing Linux driver. To evaluate whether I'm sending the correct (initialization) sequences, I'd like to capture, say, one minute of SPI traffic using Linux and then another minute of SPI traffic using my driver.

Then, I'd like to compare the two captures (if possible, using CSV export, but graphically would do).

This workflow is not possible with my classic scopes, either because they have not enough memory or not enough (digital) inputs, or because they can only decode what's visible on the screen.

Is such a workflow possible with a picoscope? Which one would I need?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Will a picoscope fit my needs?

Post by bennog »

I have tested here with a 3404d MSO
In streaming mode, If you set 5s/div then you can sample at 2.5 M-samples/sec (if you use 2 channels)
When using all or digital channels this will be reduced to 1.25 M-samples/sec.

so depending on you SPI bit speed you can or can not do this.

If you use block mode and trigger on the CS and your messages are all short messages then you probably can sample more at higher sample rates.

In this case it is depended on the total number of SPI messages on the bus during this 60 sec.

Benno

DrMickeyLauer
User
User

Re: Will a picoscope fit my needs?

Post by DrMickeyLauer »

Thank you, that sounds convincing, should sample rate be a bottleneck, I can always adjust the SPI bus frequency to lower speeds.

I have ordered a 3405d MSO now.