Pico 4444 using Picolog to Remotely monitor Amps and voltages

Having problems ? let us know the details here
kitch71
User
User

Pico 4444 using Picolog to Remotely monitor Amps and voltages

Post by kitch71 »

Hi

Very new to all this, Has anybody any idea how to set up the Pico 4444 to use Picolog so I can remotely monitor the Amps and voltages. I would like it to show RMS values for both.
Any other power calculations would also be handy.
I can use it all on Picoscope ok but not on the Picolog which seems a bit poor as a remote solution.
Best of all worlds though would be to see the Picoscope remotely.

dougxr
User
User

Re: Pico 4444 using Picolog to Remotely monitor Amps and voltages

Post by dougxr »

Hi,

I'm not certain but I think the different software (PicoScope vs PicoLog) are intended for different hardware. I've only ever used PicoLog with TC-08 and PicoScope 6 with PicoScope 2000/4000 etc..
Best of all worlds though would be to see the Picoscope remotely.
I've used fairly long (couple of metres) USB cables but when I've needed to be more remote then I've used a USB over network adapter or put a networked laptop running the software with the 'scope and a second networked laptop using a remote desktop system to monitor.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Picolog can capture from a 4444 device.
If you want a long distance remote desktop to a laptop with the scope is a simple solution.

A silex DS-600 can be used (I have tested this for this answer) works with picoscope and picolog.
You will probably need to connect the scope 2 times because of the picoscope initialization.

https://www.silextechnology.com/connect ... ity/ds-600

P.S. most other usb extender devices wont work this is one of the rarer ones that will work.

Benno

kitch71
User
User

Post by kitch71 »

Hi guys

thanks for the advice.

I have been learning a bit since the post and it seems the picolog using the picocloud will only work on 1 sec sampling so that affects the results.

Both your solutions will give me options.

I would like to remotely use the system using picolog as that does work on the picoscope 4444.
Its the sampling rate needs improving, I am not sure why it wont sample at mS range though as you can use it if picolog is connected to picoscope not using the picocloud.

Seems the remote desktop may be the only real solution so I can monitor sites from my own home.

I would like to know why picocloud does not do milliseconds though.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Have you calculated the amount of data store that they need to have for that to work on 1ms intervals.

Benno

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

What I sometimes do (when the scope is not onsite but somewhere in the country), take a intel NUC computer you can get them for cheap and run windows 10/11, and do a temviewer (or comparable session to it). I actually use my own written software for this.

So you can enjoy full screen wave forms on a computer a couple of 100km away.

Benno