Opening PicoScope by serial

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Siebje

Opening PicoScope by serial

Post by Siebje »

Hi,

Not as much of a question as it is a remark: Can you please make your API backwards compatible OR make breaking changes extremely clear?

I've been working on picoscope support for about a decade, and in that time, I've had to fix how we pass the serial number to the API several times, because you keep changing it.

First the serial was passed completely ("XX0123/123"), then you realised that the serial number space was too small, so they changed to "XX0123/1234" format, and the serial needed to be passed without the "/" because of the way it was stored in the internal PicoScope EEPROM (which was undocumented). Now we updated to the latest DLLs, and suddenly, the scopes stopped working again. After some experimentation, it turned out that it now needs to be passed WITH the "/" in order to work. I've looked through all the API doc revisions, and no mention of this is to be found anywhere.

So please, could you start documenting such breaking changes, or just allow both, so we don't have to deal with these random failures.

Thanks <3

NeilH
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: Opening PicoScope by serial

Post by NeilH »

Hi

I'm sorry for this, it is understandably frustrating. I will pass this onto our development team.

Neil
Neil
Technical Support Engineer