Data loss between waveform buffers

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
wayneft

Data loss between waveform buffers

Post by wayneft »

So I'm still a little new to the PicoScope software, so maybe someone can answer my question. I finally got a chance to start playing around with the PicoScope we just bought on our equipment and one of the things I noticed is that I can see data loss between waveform buffers. I'm guessing this is going to somehow be related to sampling or setup but if someone could me some rule of thumb for this I would appreciate it.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. We have an elevator, driven by an encoder motor, that has a cassette with semiconductor wafers that moves up and down and uses a beam to detect which wafer is in which slot. Based off the speed of the motor you can see it sees the wafer as ~135ms pulse. Looking at buffers 8 and 9 you can see examples. When I transition to buffer 10 (apparently right at the start of a wafer) you can see the signal is clipped. Taking some measurements it looks to be missing about 13ms of data. Channel A is encoder pulses.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
buffer10.jpg
buffer9.jpg
buffer8.jpg

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Data loss between waveform buffers

Post by bennog »

You can use streaming mode (timebase 2 sec / div) or something
Total samples set to max (2GB) then you have everything in a single capture and can zoom in to analyze.

This will probably work better for you in the Picoscope 7 software because you can capture more data.

Benno

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

Alright, I see what you're saying and that makes sense for this particular measurement.

So I guess my follow up question is, am I guaranteed to have data loss between waveform buffers regardless of time/div and/or number of samples or is there some threshold of a combination of the two settings that if I stay below, there is no data loss?

Sorry, new to the software and I need to put a presentation together for fellow colleagues on how to use the software for different scenarios as we begin to roll out more devices.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You are correct, there is an option for rapid trigger, but even then there is a small trigger rearm time.
And for the 2205A as you have there is only 16k sample memory in the scope.
So for your need the pc memory is the only good option.

For scopes with 32M samples and more rapid trigger would also be a option.

Benno