PicoScope docker image (unofficial)

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
markkc

PicoScope docker image (unofficial)

Post by markkc »

With the potential for these devices for hardware-in-the-loop continuous-integration, and remote development (even if "remote" is just on the other side of the cleanroom walls), I assumed the Linux support would be more mature when I bought my Picoscope. Perhaps I just missed some docs?

Since the installation instructions are for fairly old versions of OpenSUSE and Ubuntu (and also didn't work for me), I created Picoscope docker images based on those distro+version userspaces.

github.com/battlesnake/picoscope-docker-builder

This should help with running Picoscope easily on any x86_64-based Linux distro that can provide GNU coreutils, bash v4+, docker, systemd, udev, and X11.

I could probably do similar images in future for ARM (e.g. Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, modded Androids) if there's interest.

The README in that repo hopefully helps you to get going. It should just be a case of cloning then running "./picocmd run" to pull the image and run picoscope.

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: PicoScope docker image (unofficial)

Post by bennog »

Nice,

I hope a lot of people will have some use for this because for portability docker seems a good solution.

I work mostly on windows (linux only for servers, or vision applications).
But will still follow this topic because it has a lot of potential for the different linux distros out there.

Benno

deeptho

Post by deeptho »

markkc wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:58 pm

This should help with running Picoscope easily on any x86_64-based Linux distro that can provide GNU coreutils, bash v4+, docker, systemd, udev, and X11.

Nice work. Unfortunately this does not work for usb devices, but that can be fixed by adding
in the run command in picocmd
-v /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb

markkc

Post by markkc »

Odd, --privileged was enough to share devfs for me.

What version of docker are you running?

ja@jaa.org.uk

Post by ja@jaa.org.uk »

I have just install this on Fedora 38.
I have not used it seriously yet but it just seems to work!
A much better solution to having to use virtual machines, ...
Many thanks

markkc

Post by markkc »

Thanks, nice to hear that this is helping people.

I saw somewhere that ARM Linux isn't supported any more (but that RPi used to be).

Since Pico uses user-space drivers via libUSB, instead of kernel modules, it should be possible to run it on ARM-based boards (RPi, BB, etc) via qemu-static + binfmt module. Performance will be trash though.

If this would be of use to people, let me know and I'll write instructions on how to set up the qemu binary-translation module for running x86 docker images on ARM boards.

zedstarr

Post by zedstarr »

thanks!

just some notes after installing on Fedora 39 (wayland) using a 2205A

first run (opensuse image) stuck at "select instrument" - 2205A detected but greyed out, "searching" spinner/animation continually pulsing, clicked around a bit and window unexpectedly closed - no obvious errors
second run (opensuse image) works perfectly (so far...) :-)
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-03-26 10-24-46.png

markkc

Post by markkc »

Thanks, good to hear it's useful.

I mostly use the Ubuntu rather than SUSE image, I also found the SUSE image to be a bit fiddly.

Although you can skip the Picoscope software entirely in some use cases e.g. my https://github.com/Lendurai/analog-video-decoder real-time monochrome CVBS analog video decoder which works with a Pico 2000-series.