Picoscope connection issues when using USB extension

Having problems ? let us know the details here
alex_b_smith
User
User

Picoscope connection issues when using USB extension

Post by alex_b_smith »

Hi,

I am currently using a 8 channel picoscope model (4824A) running picoscope 6 software application
The test I am running requires a extension, so I have a USB3.0 extension cable (RS PRO USB 3.0 Type A to Type A Active Booster Cable, 10 m) (RS Part-number 220-6504)

With the 10m extension plugged in I get connection issues, either the "Checking USB" pop up appears and after that it will not connect or the measurement tends to freeze during testing and the picoscope 6 application has to be restarted or USB unplugged and plugged but I can very rarely get test reading

Has anyone seen issues when using extensions?

Could the length of cable cause issues with data transfer etc?

If anyone has used extensions in the past or encountered similar issues any feedback and experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Alex

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Picoscope connection issues when using USB extension

Post by bennog »

it is the power loss of the long cable, if you have an option to power the scope seperatly then it can work, although during startup the scope still uses the usb power.

Benno

alex_b_smith
User
User

Post by alex_b_smith »

bennog wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:14 pm
it is the power loss of the long cable, if you have an option to power the scope seperatly then it can work, although during startup the scope still uses the usb power.

Benno
Thanks Benno, I will try and give this a go!

Thanks for the prompt reply

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Be aware that the voltage used to power the picoscope can be different (motst that I know use 5V DC)
If you put a 12V barrel in int you will blow up the scope.

Benno