Understand CSV files data

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
luetot@voopmail.com

Understand CSV files data

Post by luetot@voopmail.com »

Hi,
Hope you're well.
I am using a 6407 scope to capture a frequency chirp in the low MHz range, sampling at 2MSa/s. Although it should not matter the time base is set at 200ns and the scope is auto-triggering.

While acquiring there are 32 buffers in the PicoScope software. The acquisition is stopped using the red stop button buffers are saved as a CSV to enable an import into python. Once the save is complete, a folder is created with 32 CSV files lablled with file names ending *01.csv to *32.csv. Within each file there are two columns Time(us), Channel A(mV).

The question is regarding the time stamp in these files (opening these files in a text editior). In the *01.csv file the time value in the first row and the last row is -5.00025005 and +5.00035008 respectively. Now the expectation (maybe wrong) was for it start at +5.00035008 and march forward in the *02.csv file. But the value in the first and the last row of the *02.CSV file is -5.00035005 and 5.00025008.

I am missing something here and probably need to read some documentation on this but could you help understand the data in these CSV files and buffers in general, because it feels like my understanding that buffers store contiguous data is wrong.

Thanks.

NeilH
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: Understand CSV files data

Post by NeilH »

Hi

The data in each CSV file is self contained with the trigger point for that buffer being referenced as 0 s.

If you need to collect continuous data over long periods of time for manipulation in python I would suggest looking at using python to control the scope directly and use streaming mode capture.
Neil
Technical Support Engineer