Issue with simultaneous triggering of 4 number of Picoscope 5444D

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
sarojj7

Issue with simultaneous triggering of 4 number of Picoscope 5444D

Post by sarojj7 »

Issue:
1. Bought 4 Picoscope 5444D, goal is to use all 4 for acquiring 16 channel data.
2. Made a simple trigger driver(MOSFET based) which takes 1 TTL input and outputs four TTL signals . This trigger signals are used to trigger individual scopes.
3. For all channels trigger was set based on channel A.
4. In PC 4 instances of Picoscope 6.14.61 are opened and linked to 4 scopes.
5. Now when trigger is given, 1 out of say 50 times, any one of scope randomly doesn't acquire data.

Diagnostic:
1. Important thing to note is , scope gets triggered, evident from LED blinking on the scope and showing stopped instead of running in the picoscope GUI. So, even though the scope is triggering, it is unable to acquire data.
As the issue is random and can happen to any one of the scope.
2. When I do the same thing with 3 scopes , I don't face an issue.
3. I have tried with Ext. Trigger Port as trigger input, but the issue persists.
4. I have also noticed that only one of the scope misses the data, never more than one.
5. I have saved the scope's( that misses) data in .csv format and checked for any trigger data but all values are zeroes, indicating scope shouldn't have triggered, but it did.
6. Obvious suspect would be TTL trigger generator that I am using. To rule this out, I have tested all trigger outputs in a single scope as channel input and repeated it more than 200 times, I have found absolutely no difference in the wave forms of any of them.

Possible Issues:
1. Maybe, at software level, data is lost while communicating between scope and PC.
2. Maybe, at hardware level, there are two different requirements for triggering the scope and acquiring data, which shouldn't be the case.

Questions?
1. Has anyone faced this issue before?
2. Can anyone from Picoscope Testing/development team confirm why this is happening and its possible solution.

Conclusion:
I am stuck at this issue for quite a long time. i intend to simultaneous triggering to multiple scope like 8 for 32 channel data acquisition. If I am unable to resolve this issue , I can't proceed.

Appealing forum members and Picotech Tech support to help.

sarojj7

Re: Issue with simultaneous triggering of 4 number of Picoscope 5444D

Post by sarojj7 »

Any one from Picotech Support ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It would be useful to see a psdata file, which will show the setup of the scopes, and also some details of the trigger signal you are using, in particular the trigger rate.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

sarojj7

Post by sarojj7 »

Thank you for the reply. I will provide the asked details soon.