Feature Request: FFT Peak Detection

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
mangokid

Feature Request: FFT Peak Detection

Post by mangokid »

This would be a very valuable feature and I think many people would find good uses for it. Most scopes often have very weak peak detection features compared to spectrum analyzers. Picoscope being PC based gives an excellent opportunity to provide more advanced FFT peak detection and tracking features. These features are not overly complicated to implement as Picoscope already has many of the table features available.
  • detect peak and track peak
  • table of peaks (frequency and amplitude)
  • manually set markers, marker frequency table
It would also be great to have the ability in the FFT to set center, stop and start. I know the zoom feature covers this but it is not particularly nice to use when you have to zoom in very far. Really the center, start and stop could just drive the zoom feature range.

Thoughts?

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Feature Request: FFT Peak Detection

Post by bennog »

You can already

see bloow image.
2020-08-19_19-54-38.png
Benno

mangokid

Post by mangokid »

This is not the feature I am referring to. This is a useful feature and it is also provided in the math channels as well. Peak detection is used to identify the maximum peaks and tell the user the frequency and amplitude without having to use cursors or manual measurements.

mangokid

Post by mangokid »

This is not what I am referring to, this is also a feature of the math channels.

I am interested in being able to show the peak or peaks of an FFT, in a range. This system uses markers (much like the marker that is used for showing the location of the trigger) to show the peak. This peak tracks automatically so the user doesn't have to use rulers to figure out what frequency there peak is at.

The SDK could be used to write an external piece of software to do this but it would be much better integrated directly into the software. I would be willing to write the software using the SDK if the Pico guys would integrate it in the UI. But given that they have an RF team I am sure they understand what the feature request ask is.