Channel Skew

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
mhufnagl

Channel Skew

Post by mhufnagl »

As in former threads i found out that there is no de-skew function available in picoscope software.
However there should be an advanced delay/advance function within the math-channel functionality. (at least the manual says this.. ) by entering [t] after the channel-designator this particular channel can be offseted by the value in the braces... so far so good.. that's what i need.
Unfortunately i'm not able to setup the delay in the math-channel menu.. because entering a positiv value between the braces does... nothing.. only the "pure" channel is displayed as new math channel. Entering a negative value give's me an error sign right next to the formular editor.
so what do i miss ?.. I assume i have updated to the latest version (6.14.10.4759).. today in the morning because the advance-delay text block was not in the doc before i updated...

any hint would be appreciated !.. thanks in advance !
Attachments
screen.png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Channel Skew

Post by Martyn »

From memory it should be
B[0,010]
although I would also try
B[0.010]
in case there is an issue with the decimal separator.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

mhufnagl

Post by mhufnagl »

Hy Martyn !..
Thanks for your answer.
No luck.. I've tried literally every combination of . , And the position of the minus sign (included in braces or not)..no luck. In some cases the expression does nothing in the other case the warning mark shows up noting an invalid expression.
Any other ideas ?
Thanks in advance!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The value in the brackets is in seconds, therefore with only 50usec/div on the screen image try B[0,000010] or a version that doesn't give a red cross to move the trace by 10usecs.

Code: Select all

Advance/Delay. To deskew a signal, select the channel and add the deskew time in seconds, in square
brackets. For example, to advance Channel A by 1 millisecond, enter A[0.001], and to delay Channel A by
1 millisecond, enter A[–0.001]. Using time offsets to adjust one channel relative to another can compensate
for differences in cable lengths or skew in trace lengths.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

mhufnagl

Post by mhufnagl »

Hy Martyn !

Thank'S for not giving up :-)
i'v tried your suggestions.. unfortunately without luck.
Here's what i did :

open the formular editor and type in B[0,000100] this should give 100µsec shift. (see formula.png).. in the scope view (have the demo device to make sure it's not coming from my device) i choose 200µsec/div. in any case the math channel should show a noticabele shift. (see result.png).. i've offseted the math channel and the b channel to display that there's no shift in time.
i've also attached a screenshot of the math channel selection just for review if i've mada a mistake there ?..

thanks in advance !
Attachments
result.PNG
math_channels.PNG
math_channels.PNG (17.59 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
formula.PNG
formula.PNG (10.73 KiB) Viewed 4478 times

mhufnagl

Post by mhufnagl »

Hy Martyn !

update ! .. i've installed the picoscope software on a remote machine (do not have physcal access to this machine at the moment).. an there it works as expected. (shifting correctly).. there is no obvious difference between this machines.. both are win10 64bit..
however.. this is only a proof to localize the problem. working on the remote machine is not an option as i cannont connect the scope there.

mhufnagl

Post by mhufnagl »

Hey there !..
Found the solution. It's clearly a localization bug. If I set the comma symbol in the system Prefs. Of windows from , to . Pico-scope math channels work as expected

Don't know why this only happens on a particular machine.

Solong ..
Thanks for the support !