Test and Measurement Forum

how do you get undistrored picoscope 3206 waveforms

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes

how do you get undistrored picoscope 3206 waveforms

Postby Eastern » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:47 pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can get 50 MHz clock waveforms that do not have significant amplitude modulation and distortion.
I have the time-base set on 50nSec and I'm measuring on a board that is connected to the PC ground, but powered from an ungrounded wall transformer. I suspect my problem is with 60 Hz, but I can not seem to remove it from impacting my high frequency measurements.
Is there a way to filter out power line frequency components.

Thanks,
Dave
Eastern
Active User
Active User

Postby Sarah » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:03 am

Hi

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Unfortunately there is no way to directly filter out the frequency using the Picoscope hardware or software. Instead maybe using a high pass filter on the signal before you put it in to the unit might help?

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Sarah

removing 60 Hz

Postby Eastern » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:02 pm

This must be a common problem :!: . Is there someone out there who has a better solution?
Since I'm using a "floating" notebook, I will now see if an AC grounded desktop is any better.
Eastern
Active User
Active User

Re: how do you get undistrored picoscope 3206 waveforms

Postby miguelroncancio » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:19 pm

Hi Dave

I think for this model the sampling sate is 200 MS/sec (1 channel), in other words, each cycle of 50 Mhz signal will be sampled 4 times maximum, if you have a square wave it has higher frecuency harmonics components (say 10 times), so you will need a 500 Mhz instrument to obtain a better quality.

Miguel

Eastern wrote:Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can get 50 MHz clock waveforms that do not have significant amplitude modulation and distortion.
I have the time-base set on 50nSec and I'm measuring on a board that is connected to the PC ground, but powered from an ungrounded wall transformer. I suspect my problem is with 60 Hz, but I can not seem to remove it from impacting my high frequency measurements.
Is there a way to filter out power line frequency components.

Thanks,
Dave
miguelroncancio
User
User

Postby Eastern » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Thanks Miguel,

Although real-time sampling is limited at 200MS/s, ETS should work fine with 10GS/s on a repetative clock of 50MHz. I should not need a 500MHz real-time sampling scope for a repetative signal.
The analog bandwidth of 200MHz should pass the 4th harmonic, not great, but enough to show a descent square wave.
Eastern
Active User
Active User

Return to USB PC Oscilloscopes