AWG sweep from PicoScope 2205A

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
faheem

AWG sweep from PicoScope 2205A

Post by faheem »

Hi there

We are using a picoscope 2205A to acquire a signal from channel-A. At the moment we start getting signal, we also want to sent a sweep sine wave at AWG with a start frequency 10 kHz and end frequency of 60kHz. Basically, we want to sync the channel-A measurement and AWG sweep. Is it possible with this particular model of the picoscope.

Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AWG sweep from PicoScope 2205A

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately that would require triggered signal generation which is not available with the 2204a and 2205a PicoScopes.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

faheem

Post by faheem »

Hi Martyn

What kind of trigger signal, do we need to achieved a synchronization between the AWG and the oscilloscope. What is the next model which contains this functionality.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I need to clarify exactly what you need to do as I can see two possible options in what you are saying, and the scope choice would depend upon the one you mean.

Are you looking to have the scope running, waiting for data to meet a specific criteria, a trigger event, and then when the trigger fires start outputting the sweep from the signal generator.

Or are you looking to setup the scope, but not actually running, and then when you press go you start the signal generator sweeping and also start collecting the data on the channel.

Would you also need to be collecting the data from the signal generator to compare against the collected data onthe channel.
Martyn

faheem

Post by faheem »

Actually I am looking for something like the second option, you mentioned (copied below):

"Or are you looking to setup the scope, but not actually running, and then when you press go you start the signal generator sweeping and also start collecting the data on the channel."

Basically AWG would generate a signal. My circuit would respond to that and I would measure that response with the scope. I need to start/stop running and scope and AWG at the same time. Do you think that I need a trigger signal over here.

No, I do not need to compare the data of the AWG with the one from my circuit.

faheem

Post by faheem »

Hi Martyn

I am still looking for an answer, how we can synchronize the scope and the AWG for the model 2205A.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The 2205a does not have the ability to control the number of sweeps or shots of the AWG, so this requirement would not be easy to implement.

The closest you would be able to get would be to setup a macro that starts both the scope and the signal generator and then, after a specified time, stops the scope and generator. If you know the AWG start and stop frequencies, and the step interval for the change in frequency, you could set up the macro to complete one complete frequency sweep.
Martyn