How do I Label Signals?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
kleske

How do I Label Signals?

Post by kleske »

Hello,

until now, we were using LeCroy-Scopes, where I could label the Signals. That was useful when revisiting Screenshots from a year or so ago, because it is an easy way to identify the signals. It´s also helpful when creating Test Reports.

However, i couldn´t find that function in Picoscope, not even a Caption seems to be possible. The only thing I can do is to manually add a comment like "blue=Uin" in the comment section which frankly, isnt´t very convenient nor proffessional.

I´ve searched the forum and the helpfile for a solution, but couldn´t find one. Did I miss it?

I am using Version 6.8.8.16

Hitesh

Re: How do I Label Signals?

Post by Hitesh »

Hi kleske,

I've added your comments to a feature request.

Currently it is not possible to add labels to signals on the trace.

If you are looking to rename a channel, then you can add a Maths Channel that simply duplicates the signal and hide the original channel through the Views -> Channels menu option.

Please note that with Maths Channels enabled, the number of samples per waveform is limited to 2 million samples in PicoScope 6 to help preserve resources due to the computation normally involved.

Many thanks,

csoon1

Post by csoon1 »

Hi. Is there any progress to this "feature" request? As of today (02/18/16) I could not find any setting on the picoscope software that allows me to add labels to a waveform. It's been 1yr and 5mos since the site admin responded to the original post. I appreciate it if anyone can point out to me how to add labels.

A month ago saved picoscope waveforms. Today I looked at the same waveform and I am having a hard time figuring out what the waveforms were because there were no labels.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi csoon1,

I have passed on your comments to our Development Team.

There has been some work undertaken into the User Interface and my understanding is that there may have been some investigation in relation to this but no confirmation of if and when this will appear in a future release.

For now, please click Edit -> Notes and enter text to map the Channels to the particular measurement.

Regards,

andrewg6

Post by andrewg6 »

Hi,
I have been saving a bitmap copy and labelling it in paint.net
This allows pointing to features. Labelling would be better in the application though.

I really like the feature that allows the cursors to be changed when the waveform is reloaded in *.psdata format.
Saves the time setting up the test rig again for a missed measurement...

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi andrewg6,

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

I have added a note to an existing feature request for adding the ability to annotate waveforms.

Regards,

gerthmar

Post by gerthmar »

Hi. Any update on this one? Would be really apreciated!

Thanks. M.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi M.,

Unfortunately, there isn't an update on this feature request but I have added a note to the request.

Regards,

SlowillTER

Post by SlowillTER »

I just purchased a PicoScope and I am amazed it does not include such an elementary feature. I'm not encouraged by this being in the queue for over 3 years with no activity.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Whilst we would like to add every new feature that is reported to us, we have a finite development resource and have to select which features to include, many of which have been added over the last 3 years.

Unfortunately in application labelling has not yet made the list, but it is under consideration as we look at the user interface as part of the move towards feature parity between the WIndows/Linux/Mac versions.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

dnoyeb
Active User
Active User

Post by dnoyeb »

No offence intended but channel labeling is a very basic feature. I understand that pico technology is fundamentally an oscilloscope company. However, I would argue that it is at least 50% a software company since these scopes require desktop software. There really is no excuse at this point. Look at WaveForms by Digilent. A completely "hobby" level scope. I've used many scopes and I cannot think of one that does not have channel labeling. Especially a desktop point and click scope. A huge portion of the benefit of this scope is how easy it is to have videos and pictures of the scope images.

It's not a good look to be waiting on this feature in 2017.

simonj72

Post by simonj72 »

I agree that it would be quite useful to be able to label signals

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi dnoyeb and simonj72,

Thank you for your posts.

I have updated an existing feature request for channel labelling. As Martyn mentioned before, Development do have to review which features to prioritise but hopefully there will be a review of this request having made the update.

Regards,

nurber
Active User
Active User

Post by nurber »

I also think this is useful and would like to see it implemented. When dealing with 3 or more signals or referencing a saved waveform it really seems to help me to easily discern. Just watched a video from which I uploaded this screenshot after much cropping due to artificially low attachment size limit of 256KiB.
Screenshot (9).png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This feature will be considered for the next major release of the software, it will not be added in PicoScope 6.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager