Simultaneous Sampling

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
butterw

Simultaneous Sampling

Post by butterw »

I am considering the purchase of a Picoscope 4424 and need some information about the time delay between measurements on 2 or 4 channels :
How simultaneous is the sampling on the different channels (for instance at 200KSa/s sampling rate) ?

Erik
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: Simultaneous Sampling

Post by Erik »

If you are using one out of A and B and/or one out of C and D the samples should be simultaneously. On the two channel product they are always simultaneously sampled.

butterw

Post by butterw »

thanks.

Could you provide an answer for the 4 channel use case ?

Erik
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by Erik »

They will be out by half a sample period on the highest sampling rate when using 4 channels. The highest sampling rate is 20 MS/s when using 4 channels, this makes the period 50 ns. The samples on channel B and D will be out 25 ns compared to channel A and C. This is true even for the lower sampling rates, at 200 kS/s there will still only be 25 ns difference.

rslesinger

Post by rslesinger »

Erik wrote:They will be out by half a sample period on the highest sampling rate when using 4 channels.
Hi, I would like to verify how this is true for Picoscope 3206D - do I expect right that there a defined fixed delay between the channels (1 ns in this case), and the same holds for 5200 series (in 8-bit mode)?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

For those devices the sampling is simultaneous, no delays.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I want to compare channel A with channels B and C which should be simultaneous in phase else I am unable to prove what I set out to do.
Is a 2408B four channel device able to show simulataneousness (if thats a word) of these channels.
Rob

Erik
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by Erik »

The only devices we sell that do not sample simultaneously on all channels are the PicoScope 3425 (Differential input oscilloscope) and the 4424 in some modes.

Discontinued devices which have sequential or interleaved sampling in some modes are the 3224 and 3424.

[Edited by Admin as the 4424 is a current model]

gmud

Post by gmud »

Just to check your last statement, can you confirm that all 8 channels of the 4824 sample simultaneously ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

That is correct .
Martyn
Technical Support Manager