capturing a large stream fast

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
tommyjunge
User
User

capturing a large stream fast

Post by tommyjunge »

Hi,

I am running PicoScope6 with a PicoScope5203 connected.
Normal measurement tasks work out just fine and I am really happy with the instrument.

I have one task, I just can't get to grips.
Here is what I want to do:

I want to sample at the highest possible sample rate (1Gsps) until the buffer is full (2GS). A single trigger event should fill the complete buffer. I should be able to obtain 2 seconds of data this way where I want to zoom in to find a special rarely occuring event.
But I can't figure out how to set up the software to do this. All I ever get is the displayed first 100ns data.

Can somebody help me, please?

Thanks, Tom

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: capturing a large stream fast

Post by Martyn »

The 5203 can sample at 1GS/s but only has a 128MS buffer, not sure where the 2GS comes in.

In general if you are looking for a rare event, it is better to try and trigger on the event, so if you give some details of your signal(s) we may be able to help you setup the trigger correctly.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

tommyjunge
User
User

Post by tommyjunge »

Hi Martyn,

thanks for coming back on this.

>>not sure where the 2GS comes in.
I can select 2Gs in the select box below the help menu in Picoscope6. What does this mean then?
I thought this was the buffer size.

If I knew what my glitch looked like, I would surely trigger on it.

Anyway, how can I fill all available memory following a single trigger event with continuous data?

Best regards,
Tom

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

In the trigger settings you need to select Single, this will capture one buffer of data and then stop. Choosing 2GS as the desired number of samples which actually set the buffer to the maximum possible for the screen time.

To capture as close to 128MS at 1GS/s as possible will require you to chose 10ms/div (100msecs screen time) and so you can collect 100MS in the buffer.

It always worth opening the properties window (Right Click in the display and select View Properties) as this will show you exactly how the scope has been set up by the software to meet your desired values.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager