Exotherming mass temperature

Which product is right for your exact requirements
stevens

Exotherming mass temperature

Post by stevens »

Using both J and K probes and everything has been verified as reading correct in cold liquid and hot oil bath. Checking peak exotherm of exotherming polyester, the k probe consistently reads 30 degrees F higher than the J probe. Anyone have any thoughts as to why or how?
Temperature range of between 300-400 F.
Thanks,

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

This could be noise interference. Do you have a USB or Serial TC-08? Are you using a laptop computer?

If you are using a laptop then try it without the power supply or try a desktop computer. Also if the unit is a serial connection then ground the unit directly by connecting the outer casing of the RS232 port to ground.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Best Regards

Stevens

same

Post by Stevens »

Sarah, thanks for your response, I really appreciate the help. I think I have narrrowed it down some. In addition to the probes being different (K versus J), the probes were of actual diameter diference also. The j was .125" and the K was .062" Since my post I have received a .062" j and a .125" k. I have ran four studies so far, and have shown that the .062"S, whether j or k, read consistently higher TOTAL PEAK than the .125" Does this make sense to you? I had heard that a thicker probe gives slower "response" but as of yet to hear that the total peak would be lower. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

It is true that a thicker probe will give a slower response since the probe itself needs to heat up. It should not really give an incorrect value though. One possibility is that by heating up the probe itself, you are cooling the surrounding atmosphere - is this possible in your setup?

Best Regards