Logging Measurments

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
dbertenshaw

Logging Measurments

Post by dbertenshaw »

I should like to log measurements on Picscope6 automatically. The ideal is to link it to PicoLog which has all the features to log and record measurments. I know that there is the /a Measurements automation feature for people to DIY something but sorting out the scripts with Excel so one can record time-stamped multiple measurements is a bit beyond me. Has anyone either linked it to Picolog or written the neccessary macros for Excel?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Logging Measurments

Post by Martyn »

Which device do you have ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

Thanks for the interest.
I have both the 4224 and 5203, but the 4224 is the more important at the moment due to its analogue accuracy.
I also log the TC-08 with Picolog.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately the two scopes you have will only work with the PicoScope software, and there is no way to share data between the two applications.

You could try emailing support@picotech.com for suggestions although it is likely to involve using the SDK to collect the data and calculate the measurements, possibly directly within Excel.
Martyn

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

The idea of learning and coding from the SDK does not appeal, when the Picoscope app already does the measurement computation, and enables me to visually see and align the traces and bars between which measurements are made (SDK I doubt allows this).

The alternate is the idea of macros in Excel using the /a automation facility in Picoscope. This can extract the 2 or more measurement values directly; the challenge is to parse them into columns and repetitively log with time-stamps.

It seems such a useful feature to me, am I so alone?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We are looking at a more direct export of measurements, as we enhance the software, but that is not on the short term plan.
Martyn

d431hood

Post by d431hood »

I too would benefit from Picolog working with a wider range of Picoscopes. The 3XXX series particularly.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The driver model for the current scopes, the speed they operate at, and the number of samples they collect mean that adding support for them to PicoLog is not an option. Sorry.
Martyn

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

Sorry Martyn, but this is all the more reason to provide a simple (DDE?) link for measurement data from Picoscope to Picolog. Picoscope allows for some very advanced measurements to be made, well outside those possible by classic test instruments. However recording the results and especially how they vary with other parameters, remains in the stone age!

Personally I dont understand Pico's reticence. The PR they could get from it would be massive, as an easy to setup Labview-like test harness.
Last edited by dbertenshaw on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We are looking at the measurements processing engine for PicoScope 6, so all feedback on this is welcome.

Linking PicoScope 6 to PicoLog is not an option, we are nolonger developing the existing PicoLog application, it is in maintenance mode.
Martyn

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

That Picolog is dying is sad to hear. The related products, TC-08 etc, are well spec'ed and easy to use with Picolog.

it is however good news that Pico is going to do something useful with measurements. I assume that Pico does not want to rewrite Picolog to make it universal for all products? If so then it would be better to make the measurements acessible to 3rd party dataloging software. The most obvious is the free NI Software Express LE. Also very affordable is the UK Windmill logging software package which I use. I guess every client will have their own favorite, but since it is very likely that Picoscope measurements will be logged with data from other instruments, Pico will have to chose some industry standard if it does not want to go through the pain of developing a universal open logging package.

Good luck and poste haste!

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

Despite Martyn saying that the Picolog line is dying, we hear last week from the email bulliten:
"Good news for PicoLog data logger users: a new version of the PicoLog software is on its way. It has been redesigned from scratch to be compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS. It currently supports the TC-08 thermocouple logger, the PT-104 platinum resistance temperature logger, the DrDAQ multipurpose logger and the PicoLog 1000 Series multichannel loggers (USB versions only)."

Hooray I say!
And also that this means that my dream remains a possibility. There is a real benefit to be offered to allow communication between Picoscope measurement values and new Picolog to allow these to be logged. It does not seem to my (simple) self a major task, and would be a great benefit to those still toiling with pencil and paper, peering at the Picoscope screen values.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The existing PicoLog was/is no longer being developed, I just couldn't say a new version was on it's way until it was nearly ready.

The latest PicoScope 6 Beta software has a new feature called Deep Measure which allows the exporting of cycle based measurements which may be of interest.

Exporting data from PicoScope and importing this into the new PicoLog is not possible.
Martyn

modmix

Re: Logging Measurments - Export .csv /w German setting

Post by modmix »

Martyn wrote:The latest PicoScope 6 Beta software has a new feature called Deep Measure which allows the exporting of cycle based measurements which may be of interest.
Export to .csv using 6.13.1beta gives an issue on a windows with german setting where field seperator and decimal "point" are the same character in the current beta (",").
Example:
  • Puffer Nr.,Cycle No.,Zykluszeit (s),Frequenz (Hz),---snip---
    1,1,2,26759993586789E-05,44099,4896931528,---snip---
Choosing the field seperator character might be a solution.
Ulli

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Ulli,

The Development Team are aware of this issue and there should be a fix in a future 6.13 Beta release.

Regards,