Distance from PC

Which product is right for your exact requirements
smarinos
User
User

Distance from PC

Post by smarinos »

Is it possible to use a longer parallel cable than the one provided with the PICO Logger. My PC is about 12 meters away from the location I need to install PICO.

Thanks.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

YOu can extend your parallel cable. I would recommend that you use IEEE 1284 rated cable for signal integrity. Alternatively, you can use our USB Parallel port adapter and extend the range by USB.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

smarinos
User
User

Distance from PC

Post by smarinos »

Thanks for the quick reply. I was concerned about the maximum length of the cable to use with DrDAG because I downloaded the manual which says that “The DrDAQ must be connected directly to the parallel port via the cable supplied, the use of other cables, ….. may result in DrDAQ not working.â€

Post by Guest »

I will make an extension cable of around 12 meters. Can you tell me which pins of the parallel plug are used by DrDAG?

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

You will need to use all pins with a straight through connector.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Post by Guest »

Hi, I am not familiar with the term "straight through". I have to pass the cable through an electric conduit so I can't buy a ready-made cable. I will have to buy it on a reel and make the solderings of the connectors myself. Will this be O.K? Thanks.

RobH
User
User

Re: Distance from PC

Post by RobH »

[quote="smarinos"]“The DrDAQ must be connected directly to the parallel port via the cable supplied, the use of other cables, ….. may result in DrDAQ not working.â€

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

You are right RobH. THis is why we recommend a IEEE 1284 rated parallel cable. THis cable is shielded to protect the data transport and to prevent stray electrical noise.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum