API on Linux

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
davide

API on Linux

Post by davide »

Hello,
I am about to buy a Picoscope because it seems a good product at a reasonable price.
I use Ubuntu Linux for my dev&test computer and I'm interested in streaming a csv file to the AWG and in the meanwhile capture some other csv on ch1 and ch2.
The question is: Is it possible to use API or command line on Linux to complete this task. I know there is some C/C++, and also python APIs but as anybody used them under Linux?
I really need this to be automatized, otherwise I will figure out some other way/other HW.
Br,

Davide

Hitesh

Re: API on Linux

Post by Hitesh »

Hello Davide,

We provide driver packages which can be downloaded for Linux platforms - please see this page on our website.

I have run some C and MATLAB examples using the drivers here with a few different models.

When you call the arbitrary waveform generator function you will need to pass an array containing the values defining your waveform, which should be within the limits specified for the driver. The AWG will have a fixed number of samples which can be used to define the waveform.

When you refer to streaming a csv file to the AWG, how many data points would be defined in the file and are you looking to output a section at a time?

Which PicoScope device are you interested in?

Regards,

davide

Post by davide »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know the exact number of samples because I have no idea on what can be a good sampling rate but it is a matter of 1 or two seconds of data. Sampling rate can be also slow, so.... I would say about 5000 samples.
I can also make the CSV to become an array, that is not a problem.
I plan to use a 2205 MSO and I plan to do it in Python. I know that there is some lib here: https://github.com/colinoflynn/pico-python
Have you ever tried this? Do you know if it needs some special configuration to work on Linux?
Is there any answer about this in this forum?
Is it possible to use the AWG while I am acquiring on CH A and CH B?
Thanks,

Davide

davide

Post by davide »

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know the exact number of samples because I have no idea on what can be a good sampling rate but it is a matter of 1 or two seconds of data. Sampling rate can be also slow, so.... I would say about 5000 samples. :roll:
I can also make the CSV to become an array, that is not a problem.
I plan to use a 2205 MSO and I plan to do it in Python. I know that there is some lib here: https://github.com/colinoflynn/pico-python
Have you ever tried this? Do you know if it needs some special configuration to work on Linux?
Is there any answer about this in this forum?
Is it possible to use the AWG while I am acquiring on CH A and CH B?
Thanks,

Davide

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Davide,

Please e-mail support@picotech.com and we might be able to make a Python example available to you.

I have not tried the Pico-Python application but it looks as though you can e-mail Colin via the GitHub page.

You can use the AWG while collecting data on channels A and B but you will need to start the signal generator prior to the data collection.

Hope this helps,