modifying of the displayed values

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
Jan Fijnvandraat

modifying of the displayed values

Post by Jan Fijnvandraat »

:?: I am using the picoscope software with ADC-12. Connected to the ADC-12 is a sound level meter. The screen is in the meter mode where the signal is conditioned by means of the custom range facility in order to get the same reading in the screen as the sound level meter shows. So far so good. But, since we want to give our customers a global idea of the sound level we are not interested in the exact (2 decimals) value the screen shows. Therefore my question is: How on earth do I get rid of the 2 decimals including the comma??

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Reducing Decimal Places

Post by matthew »

Instead of using Picoscope, try using PicoLog. PicoScope 'meter' mode is designed to work as a conventional multimeter (it assumes that you want all of the available information).

PicoLog can be setup to remove decimal places and displays a current view, much the same as in PicoScope.

-From File | New Settings
-Click OK twice
-Select your converter & port and click OK
-Click Add
-Type a Name, then choose DC Volts or dB
-Click Options, then setup the units, field width and decimal places
-If you want Custom Scaling then click on Scaling

If you run into any problems then the Help Manual from Help | Contents will document the procedure.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Re: Reducing Decimal Places

Post by Guest »

matthew wrote:Instead of using Picoscope, try using PicoLog. PicoScope 'meter' mode is designed to work as a conventional multimeter (it assumes that you want all of the available information).

PicoLog can be setup to remove decimal places and displays a current view, much the same as in PicoScope.

-From File | New Settings
-Click OK twice
-Select your converter & port and click OK
-Click Add
-Type a Name, then choose DC Volts or dB
-Click Options, then setup the units, field width and decimal places
-If you want Custom Scaling then click on Scaling

If you run into any problems then the Help Manual from Help | Contents will document the procedure.

Best Regards,
:) Ok, thank you Matthew. This is working. But, I didn't tell you yet, we want to show the reading to our customers when they visit us, on a computer screen in a size that can be read from say 3 meters. You understand the size of the text is too small and I can't find a way to make it bigger. Only the color and background can be changed. Do you have a solution for this too?, please?

Jan

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Formatting the meter view

Post by matthew »

Hello again,

I'm sorry to say that unfortunately you can't do this. You have the option of either:
  • Using the large display on PicoScope with the decimal places
  • or using the small display on PicoLog with whatever settings you need
The graph display in PicoLog (while it's recording) gives a large visual representation of the current data, which may be helpful to you.
I will add an item to our internal wish list to allow formatting of the meter view. Our software department will look at this when designing future software.

Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

Re: Formatting the meter view

Post by Guest »

:( Hello,
Thank you again for your help so far. I will be looking forward to the new software release. Hope it will be soon.

Regards,
Jan FIjnvandraat
Stertil B.V. The Netherlands

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Large Formatted Displays with DDE

Post by matthew »

Hi Jan,

One of my colleagues came up with a good idea. You can use DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to display the data in a spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel using the following cell formula:

Code: Select all

=PLW|Current!Value
You can format the data in PicoLog to contain the correct number of significant figures, then format the cell properties in MS Excel to make the data appear very large on the screen.

Not ideal ... but it might help you.

Kind Regards,
Matt.
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer