Max sampling rates on 3423

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
ed800uk
Active User
Active User

Max sampling rates on 3423

Post by ed800uk »

Hi,
I've been using the useful Sample Rate Calculator, recommended by Autonerdz -- fantastic web site too!

Sometimes I cannot reach the counts of Samples on Screen predicted by the calculator.

Could anyone with one of these models please let me know what is the "Samples on Screen" they can get with single channel, at, say, 5 ms/div (i.e. 50 ms screen time). This is "Number of Samples" in PicoScope's terminology.

The predicted count is 500,000, but I only see half of that. It's almost as though only half the buffer is available at speeds above 1 ms/div.

EDIT: I also notice a jump in CPU usage to 100% which also seems to happen routinely above 1 ms/div. This happens sometimes at other rates, but always at 1 ms/div and 2 ms/div.

Best regards,
Ed

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

samples

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for visiting the web site. Glad you enjoyed it. Be sure to wander about in our Autonerdz Community Forums too.

I ran that test for you here. I got 500,002 samples in the PicoScope measurements. I was at 65% CPU at these settings. (1.6 GHz Pentium M)

What are your max samples set to under Settings/Options/Advanced? Remember that this is not a fixed value. You may have dialed it up to 512,000 and saved settings, but if you open up any files, this setting takes on the value in the psd file and you have to go back in and turn it up again.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America