Do Pico recommend all users to upgrade to latest software?

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
ed800uk
Active User
Active User

Do Pico recommend all users to upgrade to latest software?

Post by ed800uk »

Hi,

I see with some alarm that you have released two! software updates since I got my new Pico scope, last week. I haven't had time yet to digest the manual ;-)

Two questions:

1. Do you recommend that all users upgrade, even when they might not have experienced any problems?

2. Where are the precise upgrade instructions? The initial installation includes details like when to connect the scope (only after installing the software). Should the scope be disconnected/connected before/during/after an upgrade?

Regards,
Ed

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Ed

Thank you for your post.

The 2 software releases that you mention have been released to fix bugs relating to particular units so if you have not seen any problems then you do not really need to upgrade.

I would recommend upgrading every now and then (roughly every 3 months) so as to take advantage of anything that is new or has been improved.

With regards to installation instructions, there is not much that needs to be observed. You simply open the downloaded file and it will upgrade the software with the installation wizard. If you have a unit plugged in it will prompt you to unplug it during the installation. Other than this, there are no instructions necessary in the vast majority of cases.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Sarah,
Thanks, I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates making unnecessary changes to a PC. I like to do a backup before a major change

That reminds me, can the Pico software be reverted to a previous version? Are previous versions available?

Are there release notes that say which units changes apply to?

Best regards,
Ed

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Ed

Thank you for your post.

We have some previous versions available on request, however not all versions. I recommend downloading the "Install on Any PC" version and saving the installation file somewhere. This is how I ensure that I can reinstall any previous version.

At present we do not provide release notes. We have considered doing this but no decision has yet been made.

Best Regards

ed800uk
Active User
Active User

Post by ed800uk »

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply, which I don't really follow the logic of.

Forget the question about release notes then; maybe it means something different to you than it does to me.

How do I decide whether it is worthwhile updating a new version, if I don't know what issues, or at very least which models are affected by the new version?

My unit is a 3423. Are there any known issues which are addressed by the latest release?

Best regards,
Ed

P.S. Do you think that your users would be able to see any downside to having Release Notes?

EDIT: PPS. As a new user I have found only one problem that I can't yet work around. Also the sample size issue which I have raised in another thread. Several other things are just cosmetic. But if there is a serious problem that I have not yet found I would prefer to fix beforehand, or at least have the choice.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Ed,

We suggest that all users upgrade to the latest version, regardless of product. Software improvements will include driver enhancements like the new fast streaming functions and general USB configurations. Application improvements could include display errors or measurement corrections.

In support, we will always recommend that users upgrade to the latest version of software before continuing. Fixes and patches may already exist for the problems described.

If upgrading is not possible, then we will look at other options to fix the problem. We will work with users to correct any problems.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum