PicoLog - Unstable

Forum for discussing PicoLog
maj1
User
User

PicoLog - Unstable

Post by maj1 »

I have tried for some weeks now to run PicoLog with an AD11 and TC-08, both connected to a 1.2ghz laptop (windows XP) with 512mb of RAM. After about 10k of samples (no of samples set to 30k, 1 per second) the graph window corrupts and icons disappear from the recorder window. I have downloaded the latest version and it still happens.
I see other users are experiencing similar issues.
My conclusion is that a windows XP system does not seem to be able to cope with a large no of recorded samples whilst displaying a graph window.
I am attempting to try a different OS on a different computer.
I cannot find a minimum spec for a computer to run PicoLog. Have any trials been undertaken to establish such criteria?

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

We have run similar tests but have been unable to repeat this successfully.

What we can suggest is that you change the number of samples the graph updates. This will prevent the graph window from redrawing everytime a new sample is collected.

I have attached a video showing you how to do this.

Best regards,
Michael
Attachments
PLGraphUpdate.zip
(185.58 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

gja

picolog graph problems

Post by gja »

Hello.

I've been using picolog for at least 5 years, with an ADC-212 and an ADC-216. I've used it with several diferent machines, running W98 or WXP and, in EVERY case, the graph screen goes nuts when the number of samples is above a certain limit.

gja

picolog graph screen

Post by gja »

Sorry, guys, I clicked submit before finishing my previous message.

My problem is exactly as Maj1 above described.

I've had some unfortunate experiences before with Pico support. It's amazing how you, support people, are never able to repeat what happens on several different machines.

I suggest Mr. Michael to be patient, set up a picolog data capture device and let it run until you see the problem. And you WILL see it, I promise.

Eagerly waiting for an answer.

G J Abdala

maj1
User
User

Post by maj1 »

I have tried adjusting the sample rates etc but I dont see why you should have to limit the number of samples or sample rate. The program is then dictating what you can do not the other way around.

Surely you should be able to use the program how you want to.

I think that Pico support should look into this in more depth.

I agree with gja and think that you should try to replicate the problem.

With the sample rates as per my original post it should only take half a day to capture enough samples to corrupt the graph window.

Alternatively perhaps you could post your test settings and see if we have any problems???

Post by Guest »

maybe installing on a completely fresh machine without any Picotech dev tools would help simulate this problem.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Found it, you are quite right. We will work on this problem and hope to have it fixed for the next software release.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

maj1
User
User

Post by maj1 »

Look forward to trying it out!

gja

Picolog - Unstable

Post by gja »

Hello:

As I said before, this thing has infuriating me for more than 5 years. So, pardon me to ask:

-Which is the current software release ?

-When can we expect for a new release with the correction ?

gja

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I believe we have improved the graph function. We have certainly been working to fix this issue. The latest software available is 5.14.5 however I do not think the fix is included in this version.

There should be another version out soon however I do not know the projected date for release.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Dear Sarah:

I think that for us, on this side of the table, to hear from you "I believe", "I think", is most of a surprise. I supposed, apparently incorrectly, that you guys at Pico KNEW this issues...

Anyway, is it to expect too much ask you to talk to your programmers, and ask them about this graph function ? And then, hopefully, send a solid answer to us, poor Pico customers ?

gja

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

I have already been gathering more information on this and we have resolved the bug. Subject to our rigorous testing, a beta release will be available on our website next week.

I hope this helps clarify for you.

Best Regards

gja

Post by gja »

Dears:

Is it already available ?

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Please download and test the latest version.

Please let me know if you do find this problem again.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

shampton
User
User

Post by shampton »

I have just completed a data collection exercise of a temper furnace requring samples every 5 seconds for 27 hours and sometime after hour 15 we started experiencing this exact same problem (flaky graph window and incomplete icons in recorder window).

More importantly, the data we saved is no good. It appears that the last couple hours of data repeat again and again a dozen times or so. This considerable loss of time and effort prompeted me to subscribe to this forum. I don't recall seeing that behaviour described in these posts and hope the upgrade will repair that as well.

We will download and test.