Streaming large amounts of data to disk

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Tromaville

Streaming large amounts of data to disk

Post by Tromaville »

Is it posible to use any of the scopes to stream the digitised signal to disk? I'm only wanting todo maybe 500KS/s. I had a look at the blurb for the data acq software and this seems to suggest only very slow sample rates (which kind of confused me!)

Cheers

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

You can currently use our Picolog and PicoScope spftware to save buffer sessions direct to disk and repeat over and over. This can help you collect your data quickly with minimal data transfer intervals.

In PicoScope, try the save on trigger option and in PicoLog, use the fast-block or streaming modes.

Best regards,
michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Tromaville

Post by Tromaville »

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the suggestion. I only have the demo software here (am trying to work out which is best for me to buy first).

The picolog software looks like the fastest sampling time is 1 per ms so only 1KSamples/s or am I missing something?

If I go down the route of using the picoscope software to repeatedly dump the buffer to disk I guess the best choice of scope is the one with biggest buffer so probably one of the 3000series with 1MS buffer -is it possible with any of these scopes to set the sample rate to certain values - say 8KS/s or 500KS/s?

Thanks again

Cheers

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

The high sample buffer will allow you capture data for longer at higher sample rates.

You will be able to stipulate a sampling rate but this will involve experimentation and a decent calculator. You can tell PicoScope to implement a certain ammount of the buffer and select an appropriate timebase.

Here is where you will need a calculator, the scope is governed by the fastest timebase and buffer available. I will use the 3206 for this example.
The fastest timebase is the fastest sampling rate, 200MS/sec. Each timebase down from this is allways half as fast as the one previous.

The Scope will select the best timebase or sample interval based on the number of sampes you ask for and the total time to sample over. This is where you will need to experiment. The scope may choose a different timebase for a different number of samples requested.

I hope this will get you started.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Calculator

Post by Autonerdz »

Here is a calculator designed just for the purpose:

http://www.autonerdz.com/java/SampleRateCalculator.html
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Thank you Tom,

This is a really good tool for getting that optimum sample rate.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Tromaville

Post by Tromaville »

Thanks for all the help.