Hexadecimal decoding of digital inputs

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
BJC

Hexadecimal decoding of digital inputs

Post by BJC »

Hi,

I've fairly new to Picoscopes. I have an 3406D MSO and I'm using PicoScope v6.11.12.1692.

The product information web page for the 'scope includes the statement "The digital inputs can be displayed individually or in named groups with binary, decimal or hexadecimal values shown in a bus-style display." I'm trying to determine how to do this.

I have two groups of digial signals commented (D0-D5 and D8-D10). I can see the individual signals. However, I'd like a hexadecimal view of the signals groups. For example, if the signals D5-D0 are set to 101101 at a particular time, I'm hoping that the 'scope might display "0x2D". Unfortunately, I can't find the option to enable such a display.

I note that if I display the context menu for the digital signals, on the main display, (i.e. right click the digital trace), there is a Format menu with the options Hex, Binary, Decimal, and Signed but this doesn't seem to have an effect.

Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hexadecimal decoding of digital inputs

Post by Martyn »

If you use the Create Group button, to create a group, and then drag the channels you wish to combine into that section, they will be displayed and decoded as a group.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

BJC

Post by BJC »

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response.

In the "Select Digital Channels/Groups" dialog, and specifically the "Channels and Groups for Display" section, I created two groups, as I described in the original message. As you described, I dragged the individual inputs to the group. The first group has D0-D5 and the second group has D8-D10. However, I don't seem to get the data display that you suggest is possible.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Regards,
BJC

BJC

Post by BJC »

Duh! I've worked it out for myself.

I realised that the signals labels were missing too. That set me thinking about how they might be hidden, which led me to the answer - colours.

One of the first changes I made, when I first statred using the 'scope software, was to set the background to black. While I'd changed all the colours for the elements associated with the analogue signals, I hadn't done the same for the digital signals. The signal labels and group values were being displayed as black on black.

Once the colours were changed to something more visible, I could see the group traces. However, the group values seem to be hard-coded to black and the only way I can see them is to change the background to something bright (e.g. white). What option sets the colour that is used for the digital group values?

As a suggestion, it'd be great to have an set alternative default colours that are based on a dark, or black, background.

Regards,
BJC

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We are currently looking at the design of the user interface, so this will be considered as part of this process.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager