Controlling ADC-12 without the driver

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
vadimrok

Controlling ADC-12 without the driver

Post by vadimrok »

Hello!

I am using VC++ 6.0 and would like to control ADC-12 directly by reading/writing data to the parallel port bypassing the driver if possible.
I want to be able to know control codes that would allow me to
- turn the device on
- set desired sampling frequency
- start data acquisition
- stop data acquisition
- turn the device off

I would like to open parallel port by calling CreateFile("LPT1"...)
and use WaitCommEvent(...) to be notified each time data has arrived so I can fetch it.
So I also would require the number of bytes to retrieve as well as what
code to use in WaitCommEvent(...) function that signals data readiness.

The reason I need this is because I am concerned with the CPU utilization that has to be at minimum due to the nature of the application I am writing. I have to be sure that there is no polling on the port and the application is event driven.

Thanks in advance!

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to help you, as we don't release the communication protocols on any of our parallel port products. You would be welcome to write drivers for the serial port products though (all of the details are in the product manuals).

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

vadimrok

Post by vadimrok »

Thanks!

Could you at least tell me how are your C functions written internally:
are you doing polling or waiting for the comm events?
And why your control sequences is a secret?

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Hi again,

We normally use polling ... and the development work gone into our software is too significant to release.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

vadimrok

Post by vadimrok »

Hello again!

I work for a start-up company that will possibly need hundreds of devices like ADC-12. For the final product to work it is imperative for us to have a CPU utilization very low because we will be doing a video capture and audio file playing at the same time. Maybe you will sell us the control codes because we will be forced to look elsewhere for A/D. Besides I still do not grasp how revealing these codes jeopardize your business: they are useless without your A/D.
I would really like to use your product because it is small, fast, light and attaches to the parallel port. Please help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Hi,

Our marketing department can negotiate on customer solutions with quantity orders. I will forward your details on to them ... and you will hear back from them in due course.

(I'm afraid I don't make the desision to not release the control codes ... but its something that has been discussed and firmly decided against)

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer