Excessive use of processor power by PicoLog

Forum for discussing PicoLog
MikeCarrington

Excessive use of processor power by PicoLog

Post by MikeCarrington »

Hi,
I just downloaded the trial version of the latest PicoLog S/W :?: from the website.
When I loaded it and tried it out it slowed everything down, using about 50% of the available processor power.
The old version I have been using (5.07.5 with Windows 2000), only used 5 to 10% of the processor power.
Anyone else had this problem?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

What unit are you using with the software? This is not an issue I have heard of before, it could be to do with the newer version drivers and the way that thye access the port in question, however this shouldn't be the case.

If you can let me know what unit you are using and alsot he settings you are seeing this with, then I will be able to investigate this further.

Best Regards

Haldrup

Same problem

Post by Haldrup »

I am experiencing the same problem with PicoLog, using an ADC42 and USB converter. It uses approx. 90% of the processor power, even when not taking data.

Regards
Kristoffer Haldrup

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

With the information you have given me, I will investigate this and see how much processor power is being used. I will then report my findings to our software team who can work on making things more efficient.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Excessive processor overhead.

Post by Guest »

I have been running Picolog with ADC11-USB on a XP Pro laptop with USB 2. The overhead even with 3 sources and 5 second intervals is around 90%.
I am currently running 6 sources at 100msec (single sample) and the processor is solid at 100%.
Can anyone shed any light on this please, because it seems that the software becomes almost un-usable after a while. It stops logging and crashes.

Barry Jackson

Slow down

Post by Barry Jackson »

I gues I see the same isue with 2 ADC 16 and ADC 22. The 16s arev set to 13 bit res. and I am sampling 40 channels at 1 every 15 secs for 100,000 samples. We are on our second file of data. I had not thought about it before but the computer Pentium 2.Ghz with 1 g ram and 40 G hard drive with Win 2000 is very sluggish to other programs eg calculator and is very slow on responding to commands within the Pico software eg graph, spreadsheet etc.

Excessive processor overhead.

Post by Guest »

I moved out logging across to PC today. The processing overhead remained as high regardless of how I set up the sampling.
Are we looking at a USB issue here as I do not recall the problem running PICOLOG via serial port.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The USB devices can be processor intensive. I will talk with our development departments to see if this is hardware or software and whether anything can be done to ease it.

Best Regards