PT104 and Usb-232 adaptor

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Neil

PT104 and Usb-232 adaptor

Post by Neil »

I am having trouble with reliable operation of a PT104 using the USB to RS232 adaptor (pico Product No. MI069) as recommended.

When first installed the USB-232 driver as per its instructions. The usb convertor shows up on COM6. When connected to the PT104 and setup for com6 the unit works fine. However, if the usb is unplugged and plugged back in, Win XP recognizes the device but Picolog does not and says “ PT104 – COM6 unit not openedâ€

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you have been seeing problems.

When you plug the serial adaptor cable back in, are you doing so with the PT104 connected to it?

If so, I recommend disconnecting the unit from the adaptor and reconnecting just the adaptor to the computer. This is because sometimes the computer looks "through" the adaptor and sees what's on the end of it - it then treats it as a different device.

If it still will not work then check again in the device manager - does it show any errors?

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards

Neil

re usb to 232 not reliable

Post by Neil »

Hi Sarah,

Yes, I have worked out that the PT104 must not be attached to the usb-232 for it to work!.

Device manager does not show errors. If you plug and unplug the unit you can see the device appear and dissappear!
If the usb-232 is connected to the PC at the time of startup. it shows in device manager but does it NOT work or see the PT104.

The only way I can get it to work is this sequence of actions
1 - power up PC/laptop wait till XP loads completly
2 - plug in usb-232 wait for it to register (you can confirm by looking at device manager)
3 - Then plug in the PT104
4 - start Picolog and it should work.

Kind of inconvenient when you have to do this repeatedly at customer site.
cause each time you have to power down the Laptop disconnect everything and repeat the above process.for the next test...!

It seems for sure we have a driver problem/issue The driver on the usb-232 cd is version 2.60.826.2 dated 26/08/2002 maybe i need an updated driver. is there one ?

driver cant reliably recognize the device. Tried reloading the driver. No changes.

Hope you have a better picture of my problem. As mentioned the problem is evident on different computers so i would think that rules out PC ports or PC hardware

Thanks,

Best Regards.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I am not too sure why this should be the case however I believe I have heard of it before. The adaptors themselves are not produced by us, just sold by us. Therefore we do not have an updated driver. You may however be able to find one on the internet, and if you do "Update Driver" via the device manager it may find something.

Best Regards

Neil

no luck

Post by Neil »

Hi Sarah,

At least someone else has had a similar problem !

Managed to find the manufacturers website and downloaded the driver. but it is the same one (2002) as was supplied, so there have been no updates since.

Have spoken to my Pico agent and they are going to try to supply a different unit. I hope it works.

This is an unexpected problem and causing an inconvenience.
i need to resolve this soon.

Pico should release a USB version of the PT104 asap.

Please advise any further ideas ?

Thanks.
Best Regards.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The only other idea I have is to exchange the cable for you, however it sounds as though your distributor is taking care of this.

Best Regards