DrDaq + Hall-Sensor

Having problems ? let us know the details here
buya

DrDaq + Hall-Sensor

Post by buya »

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with connecting a hall-sensor with my drdaq. I m a beginner in this topic.
I dont know which cable comes in which screw terminal. I want to measure the frequency of a wheel. Each time the magnet comes around i want that the drdaq count this.
The red cable is plus, black minus, and blue output.
And which software i have to use?
Recorder or Scope?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Buya
Attachments
my drdaq
my drdaq
My hall-sensor
My hall-sensor

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: DrDaq + Hall-Sensor

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

Please post the model of the Hall sensor, or download the spec sheet. I then shall show you how to connect it. You can measure frequency both by Picolog and by Picoscope.

If you use Picolog you can show on the PC a graph of Frequency Vs. time and you can also automatically convert Frequency into RPM and graph it, using a math channel.

If you use Picoscope you can see the waveform coming out of the Hall sensor, see frequency and convert it to RPM.

Glovisol

buya

Post by buya »

Hi,

thanks for your reply and your help.

I'm actually using Hamlin 55100 Mini Flange Mount Hall Sensor with 3 wire.

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/daten ... H_02_A.pdf
503655-da-01-en-HALLSENSOR_55100_3H_02_A.pdf
(160.08 KiB) Downloaded 628 times

Regards,

Buya

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

I enclose schematic + text for the Hamlin 55100 Hall Sensor application to the DrDAQ. Hope it helps.

Glovisol
Attachments
Schematic for Hall sensor application
Schematic for Hall sensor application

buya

Post by buya »

Hi,

thank you very much everything works fine now.
New Image.JPG
New Image.JPG (63.2 KiB) Viewed 568664 times
Another question: I want to measure the speed of a electrical wheelchair, is there any possibility to calculate this directly?
The scope of my wheel is 817mm.

Thank you
Regards buya

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

I am glad the combination Hall sensor - DrDAQ works fine. In order to advise you, I need to know where and how you wish to have the wheelchair speed display, as follows:

1) Is the speed display/recording to take place on the wheelchair itself?
2) In this case is it possible to use a laptop PC with the USB connection to the DrDAQ?
3) Or do you need a small display on the wheelchair WITHOUT the PC?
In this case you just mount the entire system on the wheelchair itself. Furthermore, if you cannot use a PC on the wheelchair you must provide a separate display, as for instance an Arduino Board with a Display Shield.

OR

4) Is the speed display/recording to take place on a stationary desk where the PC sits?
In this case you mount the Hall sensor + Pulse Transmitter + suitable battery supply on the wheelchair and a Pulse Receiver on the stationary desk. The Pulse Receiver feeds the DrDAQ connected to the PC and you have your readings/recordings on the PC.

Please let me know what you need to do.

Cheers,

Glovisol

buya

Post by buya »

Hi Glovisol,

yes thank you again for your help :)

i want to use a laptop with dr daq on the wheelchair.
I just need to know how to calibrate the software so that he schows me the speed of my wheelchair.
Maybe its possible to log it?

I'm really helpless. I cant find he right options in my software.
Maybe you can show it to me with screenshots?

Thank you very much.

Regards Buya

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

Will post info for your questions next week. Bye.

Glovisol

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

For this measurement the digital input/output terminal of the DrDAQ must be used, which gives a PPS measurement: pulses per second, or Hz.

But I am of the opinion it is not possible to measure the speed of a wheelchair with the DrDAQ and Picolog because with these it is possible to reliably measure pulse frequency down to 1 Hz, but the resolution is one Hz only: e.g. you can see 1 Hz, 2 Hz.......10 Hz, 11Hz and so on, but NOT fractions of 1 Hz. I am enclosing the Wheelchair PDF file that calculates frequency Vs. speed with a wheel of 817 mm diameter. As you can see, for speeds of 1.1 to 7.7 km/h frequency is only 0,117 to 0.83 Hz.

Even using a 0, 1 diameter meter wheel (dia. = 82 mm) coupled to the main wheel, frequency range increases to 1.17 - 8.8 Hz, but the DrDAQ would only show 1, 2, 3 ... 8 Hz and nothing in between, giving very bad resolution....

Very sorry,

Glovisol
Attachments
Wheelchair.pdf
Wheelchair frequency/speed
(26.66 KiB) Downloaded 593 times

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

It just came to my mind you can measure wheelchair speed, after all, if you build a little more complex interface for the DrDAQ and do an analogue measurement. You use the interface you built already to drive a simple monostable. Output pulses from the monostable are integrated into a frequency dependent voltage which is then metered by the DrDAQ.

I can post the schematic and calculations, but please give me the SPEED RANGE YOU NEED: e.g. from 1 km/h to 3 km/h...just let me know.

Cheers,

GLovisol

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: DrDaq + Hall-Sensor + SIMULATION

Post by Glovisol »

WHEELCHAIR SPEED METER SIMULATION

Hi Buya,

I have made a simulation of the wheelchairs speed meter setup, using Scope 2200 + Picoscope and DrDAQ + Picolog. I enclose the results showing on the Picolog display in the speed range 1 km/h to 9 km/h, but I do not know what is the speed range you need to measure & record... Pse let me know. Since the simulation fully confirmed the theory, I can now easily calculate DrDAQ interface parameters for this job and give you the schematic of the Hall sensor - DrDAQ interface. Note that in the enclosed files frequency is in millihertz (mHz) and the frequency range is 100 to 1000 mhz (0.1 to 1 Hz).

Cheers,

Glovsol
Attachments
Speed 2.PLW
Picolog simulation file
(21.56 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Results of speed simulator
Results of speed simulator

buya

Post by buya »

Hi Glovisol,

thank you again for your help.

I need speed range 0 - 12 km/h. And my wheel looks now so: Scope 420,97mm and i have five magnets.
So I have all 84,194 one magnet which comes around at the hall sensor.
Thats nearly 40 Hz I think?

Maybe you can explain it to me how you calculate it with pico log and picoscope.

Looks very good.

Thank you and regards
Buya

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

I have made the complete calculations and simulations for the Wheelchair speed with 5 magnets and new wheel. I have posted all on the DrDAQ section, as this work may be of general use. In a next post I will show you the interface circuit diagram and practical details. Looking at the post you shall understand how to set up the Picolog software for the DrDAQ.

Cheers,

Glovisol

buya

Post by buya »

Hi Glovisol,

thank you for your work. But thats to complicated for me to understand.
Maybe we can go another way. At the moment I have this signal from my hall sensor to picoscope.
Please see attached picture.
SignalHallSensorPicoScope.jpg
Is this signal normal?
Maybe you can help me. I just want that he count the signals from magnet to hall sensor. Then i can calculate the km/h and m/s in Excel thats my scope at the moment. And with the counts of the signals I even can calculate the meters my wheelchair drives.

Maybe you have an explanation for me.

Thank you and regards Buya

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Buya,

The work is not complex as it seems, if you have a little patience. You CANNOT count the pulses, because, as also shown in your picture, the pulses are at such a low frequency that Picolog CANNOT count them. To help you, my suggestion is you first assemble the pulse circuit called SPEEDOMETER INTERFACE (I post it again for your convenience) which is an ADDITION to the circuit you have already built for reading the Hall sensor output. If you then turn the wheel and place a voltmeter across C14, you will see a voltage higher and higher as the wheel turns faster. After you come to this point I shall explain to you how to proceed. I am sure you will be able to do it!

Kind regards,

Glovisol
Attachments
Interface for reading wheel speed
Interface for reading wheel speed