Using Picoscope with Belkin USB hub

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
oliverpeppe

Using Picoscope with Belkin USB hub

Post by oliverpeppe »

Hi there,
I am trying to use Picoscope with the Belkin USB Network hub as per your application note from Jan 2010. However when I connect the picoscope to the network hub, although the device is detected and the Picoscope drivers are installed, the temporary "video" type device never disappears and the PicoScope device never appears. When you then open Picoscope it isn't able to detect the scope.

Any ideas?

I am using Belkin network hub FSL009 ver2 with firmware 1.2.0 and ver 1.4.0 of the Control Center software (SXUPTP driver ver 3.1.5.0). Windows XP SP3.

Strange thing is that I managed to install and get it working OK on a different machine running Windows XP SP2. Behaviour wasn't exactly as in your document but at some point the "proper" picoscope device suddenly appeared in the control center.

Thanks,
Oliver.

Hitesh

Re: Using Picoscope with Belkin USB hub

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Oliver,

On the PC that you are having issues with, have you tried plugging the PicoScope directly into a USB port on the PC to confirm that it is being recognised by PicoScope? Which version of PicoScope are you using? The latest release is R6.6.13 with a R6.6.14 Release Candidate also available.

Does the ethernet cable from your hub connect directly into the LAN port on your PC or via a network switch?

Are both your PCs laptops or desktops?

Regards,

Eva zhou

Post by Eva zhou »

Hi Hitesh,

Since you have tested that PicoScope could collect data romotely with Belkin Network USB Hub. Do you know what is the maximun comunication distance ? And what is the data rate of the network USB Hub? Does the network USB Hub limit the communicating rate of PicoScope?

Many Thanks
Eva

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Eva,

The Belkin USB Hub has been discontinued and unfortunately, I don't have the information to hand.

You may wish to consider the IOGear Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204 which has been tested by some of our colleagues:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP204/

Please note that Pico Technology is not responsible for the content of external third party sites.

I hope this helps.

Eva zhou

Post by Eva zhou »

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for your response!
I taked a look at IOGEAR Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204 and noticed that it support 802.11b/g/n compliant- up to 150Mbps. However, as we all know, PicoScope could manage the USB2.0 speed greater than 30MBytes(240Mbps). so i think GUWIP204 maybe lower the transmission speed of PicoScope. Is that ture?

Many thanks
Eva

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Eva,

The impact of using this Wi-Fi extender would probably depend on the PicoScope device that is being used.

The PicoScope 2000 Series devices have low buffer memory so would have low maximum streaming rates.

For the PicoScope 3000 (A/B, MSO & D MSO), 4000, 5000 and 6000, the transfer rate may have an impact at higher streaming rates. The buffer memory is used as a cache on the device but you would need to ensure that enough data can be transferred to the PC to avoid the memory from becoming full and thereby losing data.

The transfer rates for USB 3.0 oscilloscopes would certainly not be achieved based on the transfer rate of the Wi-Fi extender.

I hope this provides suitable clarification.

Regards,

Eva zhou

Post by Eva zhou »

Hi Hitesh,

As for what you said previously, i feel a little confused.
The buffer memory is used as a cache on the device but you would need to ensure that enough data can be transferred to the PC to avoid the memory from becoming full and thereby losing data.
In the quote, do you mean that effect is for the block mode ? As far as I know, when it is transfering data the scope stop collection and start again until the transfer is finished. so i think the transfer rate only effects time interval between captures in block. Therefore ,i am really confused that it might bring data losing.

Many Thanks

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Eva,

Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to streaming mode captures.

With block/rapid-block data collections, the time to transfer the data to the PC would be longer using the Wi-Fi extender for large number of samples.

Regards,

Eva zhou

Post by Eva zhou »

Hi Hitesh,

I got it! Thanks for your response!

Many Thanks
Eva