Handling multiple PicoScope model on one PC

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
codinghead

Handling multiple PicoScope model on one PC

Post by codinghead »

Hi All,

I plan to have several PicoScope devices all connected to one PC. My hand-rolled application will enable me to access each one individually.

What is unclear to me is what happens in the following scenario:

I connect 3 x 2204A, 2 x 4424 and 3 x 6404D

If I call the SDK for the PS2000 scopes three times, for the PS4000 twice and the PS6000 scopes three times, will their psXXXX_open_unit() functions all find the correct and matching scope?

My current approach to this problem is to use lsusb on Linux to see what devices are connected, and then to start new processes that connect, using the appropriate SDK, to the correct family of PicoScope.

Unfortunately I cannot try this out in the lab as I only have two 2204A devices available.

Thanks in advance for any support, Stuart

Hitesh

Re: Handling multiple PicoScope model on one PC

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Stuart,

For the PicoScope 4000 and 6000 Series devices you can use the specify the serial number of the device in the ps4000OpenUnitEx and ps6000OpenUnit functions respectively, otherwise the respective driver will pick up the devices in the order that it finds them on the USB bus.

For the PicoScope 2000 Series devices using the API functions provided by the ps2000 driver, you will get a handle value for the device that is detected (with the devices being picked in the order that they are found on the USB Bus).

You will then need to call the ps2000_get_unit_info function with the correct parameters to identify which device corresponds to which handle value.

The driver should pick up a device on each occasion that you call the respective open unit function, returning the unique handle value that has been assigned, unless it cannot detect a/the device.

I hope this helps.