record between trigger-marks

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
bandfix

record between trigger-marks

Post by bandfix »

last week we installed a picoscope oscilloscope and the software picoscope 6. I would like to record the curve between two trigger-marks. At this moment, I am able to start the record at the "first" trigger-mark. But then, the record runs until the buffer is full. How can I adjust that the record starts at the first trigger and will be saved resp. restart when the next trigger is reached?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: record between trigger-marks

Post by Martyn »

We don't have the ability to set a trigger to start followed by a trigger to stop recording within Picoscope 6, but with the versatile setup options, long/deep memory, and running zoom you can setup the scope for most scenarios.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

gbowman11

Post by gbowman11 »

I have a similar issue where it is desired to make an oscilloscope measurement, save the measurement, Cycle a device X number of times, and repeat taking the oscilloscope measurement, do this over and over for a month or two. The application is to watch the deterioration over time of a switch function (life test). I have a Picoscope 5242B which has a generator built in. Any hooks built in that will allow me to do this?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

What measurement are you looking to take ?
What is the cycling frequency, and is this continuous 24/7 ?
Can you post a psdata file showing the trace you are capturing ?
Martyn

gbowman11

Post by gbowman11 »

Hi Martyn,

The job is to create a test program using a laptop, Picoscope 5242B, reed relay switch, power source with a fixed voltage of about 12 volts and a resistor to drive a 50mA signal through the switch and record the waveform once every about 10,000 actuations. I think I can do it using a timer set by the laptop to allow just 10000 square wave cycles on the Picoscope, and then a trigger function into the Picoscope to take the data (voltage waveform across the resistor)and store it with each trigger. I am not sure how to set up the Picoscope to do this though so that the data becomes serialized for retrieval.

For instance if the Picoscope had a counter function built into the waveform generator I could set up a trigger to cycle 10000 times then take the data, if not then I can use a QBasic program to do the counting assuming it knows the frequency set on the generator internally. Yes would like to set this up unattended for some time. Over time the reed switch starts going bad and the waveform will change, my customer would like to know how long it takes for this to occur and when to perform maintenance by replacing the switch.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Apologies for not getting back earlier.

Do you need this to be automatic, an action is triggered if the signal deteriorates passed a certain point, or will the analysis be visual inspection of the waveforms.

You can take a reference waveform with the PicoScope software which can be displayed on the screen at the same time as a running trace. You can also setup alarms and masks to save a waveform if the signal goes out of bounds. The first step in setting this up would be to get the trace duration you require on the screen by changing the timebase.

If you are writing your own software then there are very few limits on what you would be able to do.
Martyn