Intro and Television Field trigger question

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
RichardFX

Intro and Television Field trigger question

Post by RichardFX »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been using my trusty old Picoscope 3204 with the various s/w updates for a variety of digital and computer diagnostics on and off for several years.

However as ex-TV engineer (many years ago) today for the first time I needed a scope to trigger on the analogue TV Field to help diagnose a vertical linearity problem in an old analogue TV monitor that cannot be replaced by an LCD.

Unfortunately I've long since parted from my old Tektronix 2465A and found it difficult to make the Pico scope grab the waveform reliably.

Is there a macro or standard set-up I can plug in that allows for the assorted TV triggers, eg on Odd or Even TV field, and also by TV line number, etc?

Many thanks

Richard

Hitesh

Re: Intro and Television Field trigger question

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately, triggering off specific video lines is not possible using the PicoScope 6 software.

I will add your comments to a feature request for our Development Team to consider.

If you could please e-mail an example data file to support@picotech.com that would be helpful.

Regards,

RichardFX

Post by RichardFX »

Hi Hitesh,

Capturing a video data file is something of a chicken and egg problem. Without trigger the image is rolling through, and there is too much going on to find a trigger point, and the file for a whole two field frame is enormous. And if you wanted a file with colour burst as well, that needs eight fields before the sequence repeats.

Fortunately the timing structure of the various TV video waveforms is very well defined by international standards, and samples are readily available from most TV cameras or VCRs or DVRs. I assume you are familiar with all this, but just in case you are not you can see a nice introduction here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_television

and take look at the section on Vertical synchronisation.

Then lots more detail and links to all the various Standards references can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-d ... television

Thanks

Richard

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the links.

I have passed your comments on to the Development Team via our reporting system.

Regards,