FFT display and (acoustic) frequency bands

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
tmerila

FFT display and (acoustic) frequency bands

Post by tmerila »

Hi,

I recently bought a PicoScope 2204A to replace my trusty old analog scope. The reason for this decision was that in addition to oscilloscope measurements, I also need acoustic band response information from the same data source. I assumed that since the scope software does FFT, it would naturally have the necessary features, but I was very wrong about that.

So, what I would like to know whether support for (1/3 octave acoustic) bands in the frequency spectrum screen is something that the software is about to support in the near future and/or if someone has already written some support for this using the API. Since I absolutely need this feature (and it is the reason I bought the scope in the first place), I'm planning to actually try writing some middleware myself to read the data from API and output it to the kernel sound driver (ALSA) on Linux so I could use standard audio software for this purpose. But I would really prefer not to start hacking it together myself if it has already been done or is about to be done!

Best regards,
Tuomas Merilä

Hitesh

Re: FFT display and (acoustic) frequency bands

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Tuomas,

PicoScope 6.10 Beta has introduced a log base 10 axis for the frequency axis.

I have passed on your comments for octave scaling as a new feature request for our Software Development Team to consider.

Another Forum User has created a Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots if it is of interest:

http://www.picotech.com/support/topic14311.html

Regards,

tmerila

Post by tmerila »

Thank you! I'm very eagerly waiting for this feature to emerge in future versions!
I have tried the log10 feature in the beta version of the software and it is quite close to providing the output that I would need. If it just was possible to align the individual frequency spectrum bins along the boundaries of (1/3) octave bands, it would match my needs pretty well. In addition to having the logarithmic x-axis on the display, it would also be necessary to be able to set up the frequency ranges of the analyzer bins in logarithmic manner. Either I didn't understand how to achieve that, or there is no such possibility yet.

Best Regards,
Tuomas Merilä

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Tuomas,

The spectrum bins are linear.

I will pass your comments on.

Thanks,