Can oversampling be used with any picoscope?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
ghemink

Can oversampling be used with any picoscope?

Post by ghemink »

I have actually already ordered an 3205 picoscope, however, since it will be weeks before I get it, I may change my mind in the meantime :)

The reason why I initially selected the 3205 is because it is has a built in signal generator and also having USB can be a slight advantage. Also, with oversampling selected, about 12 bits resolution can be achieved (as stated on your web-site)

My main use will be audio measurements, but I also want to be able to measure signals that go upto a few Mhz since I'll be using the scope to look at signals in PWM amplifiers that internally produce squarewaves at frequencies of 400kHz-1MHz.

Therefore, I wanted a fast scope. Another option could be the 212/50 or 212/100 those have enough analog bandwidth for my applications and they have 12 bit resolution.

Now my question is whether the oversampling can be used with the 212 scopes as well? If so, how many bits effective resolution can I get if I want to measure signals for example up to 100kHz? Can I get to an effective resolution of 16 bits?

Best regards

Gertjan

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The maximum oversample resolution you could achieve with an ADC-212 is 14 bits, this would rely uppon you having a sufficiently noisy signal.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Sarah wrote:Hi

Thank you for your post.

The maximum oversample resolution you could achieve with an ADC-212 is 14 bits, this would rely uppon you having a sufficiently noisy signal.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Thanks for the answer.

You mean that I must make sure to add some noise to the signal so that oversampling is effective to enhance resolution? I guess the input stages of the ADC212 produce some noise by themselves as well, this maybe enough?

Best regards

GErtjan

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I cannot give a figure as to how much noise is needed however the more you oversample by, the more noise is needed. Without the noise the resolution would remain unchanged.

Hope this helps

Best Regards