Picoscope 3205 installation problem with VirtualPC on Mac

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
markku.lehtinen@sgo.fi

Picoscope 3205 installation problem with VirtualPC on Mac

Post by markku.lehtinen@sgo.fi »

I tried to use Picoscope under Virtual PC 7.0 Windows XP emulator under Mac OS X. I have properly enabled the USB port for use by the XP emulator and I see from the setups and there I see that PicoScope 3000 is enabled as a USB device for the XP to use. I checked the XP:s Device Manager, which thinks the drive files are at address:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\picopp.sys
Checking at the files themselves the picopp file seems to be rather at:
C:\ WINDOWS\system32\drivers\picopp
- so there is maybe a conflict in the uppercase spelling and also in a missing .sys- extension.

I am not an experienced PC user so I do not know whether this is significant or not. Neither can I change the path in the device manager. The picoscope software starts, but does not find the picoscope hardware !

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I do not think that the casing is the issue, and for now would not try to change this until other avenues have been explored.

Does the unit list correctly in the device manager?
Is it installed correctly?
In the Picoscope software, check under File | Setup | Converter to ensure that the software is trying to open the correct unit.

I am not aware of any cases whereby our USB units have been used on Virtual PC before so cannot guarantee whether it will or will not work, although I do not see any reason why it shouldn't.

If you can provide me with answers to the above questions, then I will consult our engineers as to using our units on Virtual PC what could be the cause of the problem you are seeing.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Does the unit list correctly in the device manager?
-- It knows it as: PicoScope 3000 series PC Oscilloscope

Is it installed correctly?
-- Hard for me to say. All I know is that the install software runs to end
with no error messages, tells me that installation is complete and asks me to restart the computer. Then when I have restarted Windows seems to detect new hardware, and opens up a window where it shows a graphic of files flowing from one folder to another and this also seems to end gracefully. At this point my virtual PC starts to recognize an previously unknown USB device attached to it as the PicosScope 3000.

In the Picoscope software, check under File | Setup | Converter to ensure that the software is trying to open the correct unit.
-- It says: PicoScope 32xx. Also, the red led goes off at some point of the process. Before that it gave the message: Picoscope could not open the following product (PicoScope 32xx)

If you can provide me with answers to the above questions, then I will consult our engineers as to using our units on Virtual PC what could be the cause of the problem you are seeing.

-- I would appreciate if you can check this yourselves !

best regards,

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Unfortuantely we are unable to check this ourselves as we do not have Virtual PC.

What I would suggest is using the power adaptor with the PS3000 and see if this makes a difference. It may be a power issue that is preventing it from opening correctly.

Let me know if this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Hi!

I connected the external power adapter, but this does not seem to have any effect. I do not know what to do now ?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried the scope on a PC to verify that it works?

Unfortuantely we do not claim that our units will work with Mac computers as our software is not currently compatible with Mac OS's. I cannot think of any further advice to give other than to use the unit on a PC where it should work.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Have you tried the scope on a PC to verify that it works?
Unfortuantely we do not claim that our units will work with Mac computers as our software is not currently compatible with Mac OS's.

-- I did a short test when I bought it and it seemed to work, but this was only a very fast test. I think it is necessary to try it more thoroughly. I would also like to note that Virtual PC on a Mac runs Windows XP, not Mac OS - it is just another PC.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Whilst the virtual PC is running XP it may not be running everything in the same way that a PC does. In particular USB could be running differently.

As I have already mentioned, we are unable to offer support for Macs as our software is not written for Macs and we do not have one here ourselves. If you are still experiencing problems I would suggest that you consult the manufacturer or the Virtual PC software that you bought.

Best Regards