pt104 data logger

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
gurpreetsingh2182

pt104 data logger

Post by gurpreetsingh2182 »

dear sir,
i am unable to use Ethernet facility. kindly tel me how to use it . how to send data as i am new to it.

thanks

Hitesh

Re: pt104 data logger

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Gurpreet,

Could you please outline what steps you have taken so far in order to try and establish the connection?

Did you run the Ethernet Settings application as outlined in section 2.5 (Connection: Ethernet Port) the USB PT-104 User Guide:

http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/usbpt104.en-2.pdf

Are you using Power over Ethernet (PoE) switch or is the device connected via USB for power?

Regards,

aLondon

Post by aLondon »

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Gurpreet.

Here is what I have done so far:
  • - install software (Win 7 pro 64)
    - plug Pt-104 through USB
    - start software and check it works through USB
    - close software and start the "Ethernet settings" program
    - close program, add an ethernet connection (to PC through switch - not PoE enabled).
    - start Picolog software:
    • - when I select the input as pt-104 (ethernet), I can see the IP I entered with the "Ethernet settings" program. However, clicking on the "status" button throw an error saying the pt-104 (USB) is not connected.
      - when I then click the OK button to eventually select the pt-104 (ethernet) device, the program crashes (pl32w.exe does not respond...and so on).
Did I miss something?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi aLondon,

Once you had configured the Ethernet settings, did you unplug the USB cable?

If you are not using a PoE switch you will either need to use a crossover cable to connect it directly to the PC or provide power via the USB connector e.g. using a powered USB hub.

I hope this helps.

aLondon

Post by aLondon »

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I'm a bit surprised by the behaviour of the Picolog software. If the logger power went off, the software should just say so or throw a "disconnected" message when the status button is clicked. If I did something else wrong, then an error message should appear, possibly informative. I don't think it's right that a software crashes nowadays, unless the OS does something wrong.

In my case, I did leave the USB cable plugged in, as I knew my switch wasn't PoE (I'm just testing the system for now).

I am wondering if I am setting things right, though. When I open the input channels menu, the selected device is "Pt-104 (USB)". Clicking on the status button gives the USB device status. Then I change the device to "Pt-104 (Ethernet)" and the ethernet address I configured appears underneath and I click on it. If I click the "status" button, I again get the USB device information. I then just click OK, and that's when the program crashes. I didn't put anything in the "external address" field.

Is this right?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi aLondon,

After setting the Ethernet Settings, you should have unplugged the USB cable and then replugged it back in again.

Once this has been done, please start the PicoLog software and try to connect selecting the PT-104 (Ethernet) option first.

It appears that if you try to connect via the USB connection first, then via the Ethernet connection using the same instance of the software then a crash will occur.

You can also set a reconnect option via the File -> Preferences -> Auto Reconnect menu item.

Are you using PicoLog 5.23.0?

aLondon

Post by aLondon »

Hi,

I am using Picolog 5.23 (downloaded last Thursday).

I've done a few more tests:

# Using your procedure (Ethernet settings, unplug, plug), the software detect the device but then crashes the same when I click OK. Auto reconnect doesn't change anything as far as I can see.

# I've also tried something else: I've configured the Pt-104 and then I've connected it via USB to anther computer (with no Picolog software on it), to act as a USB power supply. I connected the Pt-104 through ethernet to the PC with the picolog software on it. When I then set the input as "pt-104 (ethernet)", the device appear in the list with the address I configured. When I click "status", it says that it cannot show status for disconnected device. Till now it is the same. When I click OK though, instead of crashing, the software hung a bit (~5 sec) and then the "input channel" window closes. When I open it again, I can see that the input device is now "demo". This is reproducible.

In both instance, when I select the device as "pt-104 (ethernet)", the "Port" drop-down menu is not enabled; is this normal?

I don't what is wrong. Are there some network parameters somewhere else I should have set?

aLondon

Post by aLondon »

Hi,

Do you have any other procedure I can try?

Otherwise, I'm also willing to try it in real condition, with PoE. What is the power needed for the Pt-104 to work correctly? Do you have any reference for a small switch (4 to 8 ports) I could buy?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

If you open a command prompt window from your PC and use the 'ping' command with the address of the USB PT-104 as an argument does that communicate with the device?

I've run some tests here including connecting the USB PT-104 to another PC. Clicking on the Status button gives the same message and I believe this is due to the fact that the device is not connected via the USB connection (it also does the same with out PicoLog CM3 data logger).

On the first occasion where the dialog disappears when you click 'OK', try clicking Settings -> Input Channels and then select the USB PT-104 (Ethernet) again. Is it the default device selected when you open this dialog?

In terms of a recommended switch, it just needs to be a standard PoE switch. The USB PT-104 requires less than 100mA.

Regards,