Using ADC-12 labview VI

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
stuarts
User
User

Using ADC-12 labview VI

Post by stuarts »

I'm trying to build a labview VI that takes data from the ADC-12. I've moved the appropriate llb file and the dll file to the User.vi directory and can access the ADC-12 vi from labview. Hoever, when I try to test/run it I get a "function call name" error that I can't seem to fix. Has anyone built a simple vi to access data from the ADC-12 or any other pico converter product.

I'm trying to count pulses - this might be able to be done in a Pico product but I'd like to create a labview instrument.

regards

stuarts :(

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The error that you are receiving, is it to do with finding a function call. If it is check that the function has the correct path to the .dll. If this is not the problem, let me know which function you are having problems with and the date of the driver. I can then try to replicate the problem here.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

stuarts
User
User

ADC-12 with labview

Post by stuarts »

Dear mark,

The error is to do with a function call. In the configuration box the function name is"adc10_labview_single". This is obviously incorrect. In the documentation it says there are examples that show you how to set up the adc12 vi I can't find these. They are not in the adc10.llb.

I am new to this and was of the opinion that the labview driver would just work... of course there is always more to the story. I used the configuration check box to call what I thought was the right function (adc_10_get_value) which sorted out the labview error but produced a serious shutdown error when I tried to run it. Is there an adc_12_get_value function I should use or are they generic? As a matter of fact all the function calls have the same effect.

I found in the documentation a sequence of calling steps using the ADC-12. Do I need to call each of these functions in term to correctly access the ADC? The labview documentation says no.
That is:

1 adc_10_get_driver_version
2 adc_10_open_unit
3 adc_10_get_value(s)
4 adc_10_close_unit

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this.

regards

stuart
:?

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am not sure if you are looking at incorrect functions or if you have just mistyped then.

The function calls that work are the:

adc10_get_value
adc10_open_unit
adc10_close_unit
adc10_get_unit_info

if you are using the adc10_get_values then you will also need to use other functions adc10_run, adc10_set_inverval and adc10_ready.

The labview examples for the ADC-12 are the same for the ADC-10 and both products use the same driver, adc1032.dll.

You should be able to find a adc10.llb which has all the .vi examples for both of these units, if not they can be downloaded by following the download button.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

stuarts
User
User

ADC 12

Post by stuarts »

Thanks Mark,

I am using the ADC10 function calls and adjusting the configuration information to point to the right location. This sorts out the labview errors but when I try to run the vi I get a windows exception fault and labview shuts down. I looked at how other pico instruments (ADC11) handle function calls (there is an ADC 11 example) and I setting my vi up in the same way (except there is only one channel).

So I'm a little lost as to where to go next.

regards

stuart smith

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Do you know if the exception is being caused by one of the adc10_ function calls, try stepping through each stage to see when it goes wrong. With out actually seeing the problem it is difficult to diagnose the problem. We do not normally do this but if you send the .vi to tech@picotech perhaps some will be able to look at it.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

stuartsmith

adc12 labview

Post by stuartsmith »

The vi I am using is the basic adc12 vi. It is the one described in the Pico drivers information that is downloaded from the website. In the documentation it says that the vi will work as a standalone without any other requirements.

stuart

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your information, unfortunately, I have not been able to find any file called adc12.vi. This may be form an old release. If you colud email a copy of the file to tech@picotech.com. I will then look at the problem for you.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

franz.kohl@tuwien.ac.at

labview vi and pico dll

Post by franz.kohl@tuwien.ac.at »

Hi Mark...

I have experienced similar problems with labview and the ADC2032.dll supplied from pico.

I found out that the subroutine names in the dll have some characters appended,
typically '@n' ( no exclamation marks!, n a number)

I appended these characters to the function call in labview and the vi works.

I used a disassembler program caled PE Explorer
a 30d trial version is available from http://www.heaventools.com/