Max number of samples for PicoScope 5242B AWG

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Armando

Max number of samples for PicoScope 5242B AWG

Post by Armando »

Hello,

I need to generate some arbitrary signals and the 5242B AWG could be the right instrument for frequency and precision.

I couldn't find any specification about which is the max number of samples I can provide using the data file.

I need to use a very long data file: the signals may be some minutes long. At sample rates of some MS/second, I'm going to need a file with something like 200M samples or more. Is there a limit for this number of samples?

In the specifications:
http://www.picotech.com/picoscope5000-s ... tions.html
I read that there is a buffer which size is 16k samples. I don't understand if this is a limit for the number of samples in the file or if this is used just to buffer the streamming of samples that are arriving from the PC and is not a limit for the file size.

Best Regards,
Armando

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Max number of samples for PicoScope 5242B AWG

Post by Martyn »

The arbitrary waveform buffer, 16k samples, is used to define one period of a waveform that can then be output at the chosen frequency.

Unfortunately the arbitrary waveform generator can't be used to output a continuously changing waveform of millions of samples as you are describing, once running you can't change the sample buffer on the fly, you would have to stop the scope reload the buffer and start again.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager