VmWare on linux host

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
VincenzoV

VmWare on linux host

Post by VincenzoV »

Hi all

I'm a linux user (debian wheeze, kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64). To run Picoscope (latest version) I use VmWare Player 6 (latest). My oscilloscopes are 3405A and 2205

Using new PC (i7, USB3 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210) software finds ocilloscope and start comunication (I can hear some click from it, as usual) but after some second all leds are off and no more comunication between oscilloscope and PC.

I tried:
* Virtualized XP, 7, 8; 32 and 64 bit
* Newer linux kernel

Other USB hardware (disk, emulator) work fine on same virtualized machine

With same PC and native Win8/64 all works fine

Using a pretty old PC (core 2, USB2, same OS/kernel/vmware) all work fine in virtualized machine.

Someone can help me?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VmWare on linux host

Post by Martyn »

Getting Picoscope to work on a VM has always been a bit hit and miss. Generally the problems are related to the USB interface and how the Picoscope device restarts once the firmware has been loaded into it. Other devices may not be using the USB in the same way that we do. Searching the web for others experiencing similiar problems with different hardware on the same release of VM may help.

For this reason we are currently looking at providing a Linux front end for the new drivers that we have just released http://www.picotech.com/support/topic12745.html
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VmWare on linux host

Post by Martyn »

Is the USB port a USB3 one running as a USB2 ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager