Log sweep mode

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Gustav

Log sweep mode

Post by Gustav »

I am doing some measurement involving EMG signals (but it could also have been sound, the suggestion would have been the same).

For the output signal generator, the sweep can either be up or down in a fixed steps. It would be much more practical to have a log scale.

Imagin testing a loudspeaker, you step the frequencies through: 10, 20, 50,100, 200, 500,..... 20000 Hz. Typically between 3 and 10 steps per decade.

For ps6, it would be practical to specify:
1) start frequency
2) stop frequency
3) No of steps.

jane

Re: Log sweep mode

Post by jane »

Gustav wrote:3) No of steps.
Or no of steps/decade..
As working with audio equipment I support your suggestion very much. 8)

JanE.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This is on the list for future enhancement of the product although I have no time scale for it's implementation.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Gustav

Post by Gustav »

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your "on the list for future enhancement" regarding the log sweep mode. There have been requests about log-scale and log-signal sweep for more than 3 years.

by ziko » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:00 pm
Thank you for your request I have forwarded it to the software department. Whilst no promises can be made they will consider it.

by Martyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm >> It has not been included yet although I have just prompted for this again particularly as we have recently introduced the PS4262 scope.<<
Martyn

Of cause, as user, we also value that picoscope is easy to use and bug-free... but the world is logarithmic.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

In an ideal world we would have a vast team of development engineers, producing perfect code, while still keeping the software free ;)

Coming from an audio background I understand the need for this feature so will continue to push for it's inclusion. We have recently recruited some developers so hopefully these new features will get added in a more timely fashion. :)
Martyn

canielsen

Post by canielsen »

I also need a log scale in the spectrum analyzer. Is there anything new about when this will be implemented ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

No updates yet sorry.
We are currently expanding our development team so it will depend upon who we bring on board and how quickly we can get them up to speed.
Martyn

canielsen

Post by canielsen »

From what i can read around in the forum, the request for log scale started more years ago. Many people need this feature - exactly as i do, so i can not understand why this feature is not already implemented, in one of the updates, that must have benn released since the first request for this feature.
I have no problem about having to pay a little fee for this feature.
Is it not possibel for you, to estimate - when the log scale can be implemented, or do i really have to buy a scope from another manufacturer ?.

canielsen

Post by canielsen »

Any chance that we get the log sweep / log scale mode in near future ?. Many users has requested these two functions for more years.
Can we get a estimate for when these functions is implemented ?. As metioned before: I have no problems paying a fee for this feature. I urgently need it.
Please answer.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I still have no timescales for this enhancement as we do not have the development resource to perform the work, even if it was externally funded. Sorry.
Martyn

canielsen

Post by canielsen »

Any news ?.
Customers has asks for this function for more years. We need it.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It is not set for inclusion in the next release, although we have recently increased our development team and so some new features will be appearing. We are still looking for more developers http://pico.jobs/?source=HPju1, to help with the backlog of feature requests like this.
Martyn

canielsen

Post by canielsen »

Okay.
I Give up. It is very disappointing. Many has ask for this function for more years.It can not take much time to implement. I must buy a scope from another manuafacturer, which can give me the log scale i need.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I can assure you that I am pushing for this feature to be included, and believe I have made progress although not to the point of being able to provide timescales.
Martyn

PicoNoob

Post by PicoNoob »

Hi i cant find the Log Sweep still pending after these Years?